Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor Old_Mate
New Contributor

Average Cable speed Altona North

Hi All,

I've been keen to get signed up to Optus Cable in my area but I cannot get a straight answer on the expected level of service in my area.

Yes I know - up to 30Mbp on basic and up to 100Mbp on the spped pack but you can tell me up to "pick a number" but that number is irrelevant if there's no minimum acceptable level of service in relation to the speed.

What are the average speeds on Optus cable in Altona North and are you happy with the service?

My conversation with several sales agents went a bit like this;

Me:  Dear Optus, I would like to buy some nice flowers from you.

Optus: Of course sir, here they are, they are fresh and beautiful etc

Me: Thank you Optus but they are wrapped up in a black plastic bag and I can't see them.

Optus: Oh if you want see them you will have to buy them first.

Me: Okaaaay, but what if they are not what I want, could I be buying a bag of rotting compost?

Optus: (Shrugs shoulders) - They COULD be amazing, BUT yes they could be compost, it depends on how long theyve been in the bag, humidity, the length of your trip home, how tight you hold the bag, whether you drive or take the train, whether there is an impending solar eclipse and how many executive orders Trump signs this Sunday.

Me: Okaaaay so I can bring them back if I'm not happy?

Optus: Of course, there's just the cancellation fee

Me: The cancellation fee, for not being happy with the flowers, for receiving compost instead?

Optus: Yes (unflinching)

Me: Okaaaay, how much is the cancellation fee?

Optus: (Unflinching) $375 for the basic bouqet which decreases over time.

Me: So I have to pay $80 for the bouquet PLUS $375 to return them IF I don't like them even though I can't see them until I buy them.

Optus: (Unflinching) Yup, would you like a greeting card with them?

Me: (Utter bewilderment) A possible $455 to figure out if I am buying compost?

Optus: (Still unflinching) Yup. You could go with our other option where the bouquet is $280 and there's no cancellation fee.

Me: Ok can I see the flowers?

Optus: (Still unflinching) Yes, after you pay the $280

Me: (bewildered face)

Optus: Would you like me to begin processing?

So even if I bought the speed pack I could still end up with a 1Mbp connection technically.

This coupled with the $375 cancellation fee and the first months usage charge makes it a pretty big risk for the consumer unless there is either a penalty free window after install, which there is not, or a a guaranteed level of service, which there is not.

And so I turn to the community to guide me. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Moderator Aman_B

Re: Average Cable speed Altona North

That's definitely not good to hear @Old_Mate and we're really sorry it didn't work out the way it should 😞 I've passed on some feedback about your overall experience. with regards to internet predictable speeds we'd certainly give a number but there's no way for us to give you an average speed as such. I can certainly refer your post to our sales team here and you can discuss this further. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Old_Mate
New Contributor

I would be happy to hear from Optus if my concerns/queries are addressed. 

I do not want to be contacted if I will still be taking between a $280 - $435 risk. 

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

You could always get the month-to-month plan but connection fees are still involved. 

If you do sign a contract, and a known issue is causing slow speeds, you could be eligible for an early contract release if no ETA is available for a fix.

Unfortunately this is a risk we take when signing up with any ISP, legally they can only advertise the "up to" maximum of the line. If you've got neighbours on Optus HFC, they would be able to provide the most accurate result of what you could expect. 

I'm in Richmond, VIC with HFC and Speed Pack, my speed right now is 85mbps and I think the lowest I ever get is around 75mbps. Hopefully someone in your area comes across this post and can help out.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor phrostyboi
New Contributor

did you ever get an answer about the average speed or got connected to cable - i'm in the same boat and also in Altona North?

I'm not so keen on shelling out close to 300 bucks on a gamble that the speed might be the same as my current 4mbit adsl2 connection (i'm close to 4km from the exchange)

I'm understandably concerned by all the stories I hear about oversubscribed, peak slowdowns, dropouts and so on

looks like our place has at least had optus cable tv or internet at some stage as there's a box on the side of the house with coax going into it with optus branding

0 Kudos
New Contributor Old_Mate
New Contributor

In short, no. I never got an answer. The answer however is as you probably expect and have already read. 

Offpeak speed is pretty good compared to adsl but peak (4pm to 11.30pm ish) is shocking most of the time. Down to 1mbps and on the odd occasion less. 

I find that overall it is slightly better on average for my usage. Netflix and kids on YouTube. However I still find myself switching to 4G on my phone. If you are getting 4mbps I wouldn't switch. I was getting 3 with TPG. 

0 Kudos