Searching...
Highlighted

Availability of Optus Cable - website contradicts support

mja65

Hi all

I live in Spotswood, Victoria (Strong Street) in a new townhouse. All the houses around me seem to qualify for Optus cable and my address shows as cable being available. I even seem able to place an order! However, online chat seems to suggest that I do not have cable available. Questiions:

1. How do I determine if Cable really is available - I am not certain I am getting the real answer from the support chat?

2, What happens if I select the installation option through the website if it;s not actually available?

Any advice greatly appreciated! NBN looks like it it is a while away, and the closest ADSL2+ exchange is over 3km away and means I am struggling to get 3Mbps - it's quite a step down from the 50 mbps I used to get in my apartment!

Re: Availability of Optus Cable - website contradicts support

SamSam

Did you get a new street number/letter when the townhouse was built? And if so, are you putting the original number/letter into the online checker or your new one? 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

mja65

Hi

Yes there is a letter (B) after the number. That's the strange part - if I enter my full address with the number and letter, the address checker cannot find my townhouse and reports ADSL2+ only is available at the number (without the letter).

If  I enter the number without the letter, the address checker prompts me to ask which of the three numbers (the number without the letter, A, and B) I want - if I select this way cable shows as available! Unfortunately when I used the chat facility they told me Cable was not available. 

I had a look today on the way to work - I can see the cable on the street and various houses either side of mine connected which suggests this should be doable. 

Might be worth going to Bunnings this weekend, buying a ladder, pliers, wiring, etc. :-)

SamSam

yeah cable is a little more manual then checks for other services. Basically there's a list of all addresses that can get cable which is updated manually, if you're not on that list then it won't show as available. What likely is the case is the house that used to be there (so the house number without the letter according to the system) was on the list but the new houses including the letter isn't. 

It can be difficult but basically you'll need to call again and continue to request they submit a request for a "technician drive by" which is where they have a tech come to the house and check if it's possible (and financially feasable) to allow your new house to also get cable. If it is, the system gets updated and you place your order. If it isn't then you get a solid answer and look at your alternatives. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
75 Kudos
75 Kudos
53 Kudos
38 Kudos
25 Kudos