Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
WH
New Contributor
New Contributor

Asus 4g-AC68U connection tissues

Hi, would love some assistance here. I have decided to upgrade my Huawei E5186 modem with a new Asus 4g - ac68u one. Old unit working, but super slow and patchy. I have inserted sin into new modem but try as I might, I just cannot get the system to connect to the internet. I have read some previous posts relating to the setup. The firmware is the latest, ip4 set, I have tried CONNECTME and LTEBROADBAND (tried lower case as well for good measure) as the APN. Tried changing and using old IP address - rebooted and reset modem numerous times. Not sure if i have overlooked something. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

I'm on a 200Gb home broadband plan and other users have managed to connect with same Asus modem. Thank you.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Asus 4g-AC68U connection tissues

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/mobile-broadband/Plans?SID=con:omb:subnav:mbb:post:plans#Pla...

Bringing to your attn, the 200GB unrestricted plan with Netflix et al.

I can't remember whether OHWB is bound to the modem, but LTEBROADBAND sounds about right.

0 Kudos
SamSam
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Yeah pretty sure home wireless broadband is locked to the modem due to their speed restrictions beinf controlled by the modem itself. mobile broadband would be the way to go for this

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

You cannot use a different router with the Home Wireless Broadband Plan.

Also - speed is not limited at the router, its limited before it even gets there.

0 Kudos
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Another thing to note if you move to a Mobile Broadband plan (not Home Wireless).

That device only supports some of the Optus 4g Bands so is not ideal (5186 supports most of them)

Asus device is missing 700 (band 28) and 2300 (band 40)

LTE: Downlink 300 Mbps / Uplink 50 Mbps
HSPA+: Downlink 42.2 Mbps / Uplink 5.76 Mbps
4G FDD-LTE: 800 /1800 /2100 /2600 
4G TDD-LTE: 2600 
3G UMTS: 900 /2100

0 Kudos
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

That might be OK. @WH says the 5186 was super slow, which could mean congested 2300. The 700 will be congested as well, which means he might get some joy on 1800, which might have 15Mhz of bandwidth.

0 Kudos
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Or could be that the 2300Mhz signal was bad and the router was connecting to other bands and capped at a max of 5/1 compared to 12/1 on 2300Mhz.

0 Kudos
WH
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for that, went and changed plan to mobile broadband plan, got a new sim.  I asked that question at an Optus store the other day and they gave me another sim ( no difference). Today another Optus person confirmed that home broadband will only work on their Huawei modem, nothing else. So I changed the plan to a mobile broadband one. Will try this and let you know. Thanks everyone for your replies.

0 Kudos
WH
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for that, went on today and changed the plan and sim. Fingers crossed it all works. Will let you know either way. Thanks again.

0 Kudos