Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Optus Call Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Apple downloads capped at 5.8MB/s

Have just got the nbn connected. Am on a 50MB plan. The max download speed tested is 47MB.

When downloading anything from Apple, like a system update or a game. The actual download speed in maximum 5.8MB/s. Doesn't matter what time of day. It just doesn't download faster. Not even with no other downloads happening at the same time.

Seems like it may be a setting on the Optus side. Does anyone have any clues?

Am reluctant to message, as staff are usually unable to answer questions like this.

Thanks

Speed test says 40.3, but downloading at between 5-5.8Speed test says 40.3, but downloading at between 5-5.8

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Apple downloads capped at 5.8MB/s

You are confusing Mbps and MB/s (very often done.)

The later is 8 times the speed of the former.

So 5.8 MB/s = 5.8 x 8 Mbps = 46.4 Mbps

You're getting what you've paid for 🐵

Peter Gillespie

PS IMO MB/s is friendlier as most files are say 40Mb or 400Mb or 1000Mb etc. If you are downloading at 5.8MB/s then the maths is easy.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Peter

I've heard of this before... Thanks for explaining it. Wow, it's slower than I expected.

Now I understand why people are so disappointed with the nbn.

Thanks again for explaining it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It might be Apple that are playing with numbers here. From your screen shot you have about 6Gb left to download (a not inconsiderable amount) and it says 4 hours left but also 5 MB/s download speed.

6Gb = 6000Mb which if downloaded at that rate should take 6000/5 = 1200 seconds or about 20 minutes. I'm not sure why Apple are saying 4 hours.

Perhaps nex time take a note of the initial numbers and then how much actual time it takes to download a file. The best results are ones you confirm personally.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Peter

I didn't take that long... May have been an hour. The original download speed was 538 KB/s which really contributed to the disappointment levels.

But understand how it works much better now 🙂

0 Kudos