Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor DannyBizzle
New Contributor

Apple devices not workign with Optus Cable

HELP

Hey guys we just moved into a share house that already had Optus Cable broadband.

Everyone in the house can connect to the internet except me

I have Apple iPhone 5s and MacBook Pro 2001 Sierra

Both devices recognise the network and connect but the pages just time out on 'resolving host'

We have tried everything and believe its a problem with the DNS that is being given out but can't get to the bottom of it

Any Ideas?

This is killing my data!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RetiredModerator Gen_R
RetiredModerator

Re: Apple devices not workign with Optus Cable

Hey DannyBizzle - sounds frustrating, thanks for reaching out though.

Has the router and your devices network settings been reset, any other Apple devices in the house not working?

Please try removing and putting the router details into the devices again. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Hi there,

I have just removed the details from both devices and 'forgot the network'

I have just restarted both and they are still doign exactly the same thing,

Both devices recognise the networks and have full bar signal but they just keep timing out on 'resolving host'

It's a netgear router on optus cable broadband,

We have tried resetting the router also several times.

I have called support 5 different times but cannot gain further assistance because the pin on the account is currently in a laptop which is on freight back to Germany.

Last night the internet went down for the entire rest of the house also, so believe there may be a wider issue,

It's Windsor 4030 QLD.  

It's so frustrating as I am a freelancer and need it for work and its costing me a fortune using all of my hotspot data when we are paying for home broadband that does not work..

I had an account with iinet for a house 1 street away that worked flawlessly before 2 weeks ago, starting to regret giving that one up and going with the house preference..

Please assist as I will go bankrupt with mobile data charges soon

thanks

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Gen_R
RetiredModerator

Definitely get how frustrating this would be. How many devices are connected to the Wi-Fi modem cause there is a limit to how many can use it and is your Latop able to connect to the router via Ethernet Cable?

I do get where you're coming from however if there are no other devices in the house having issues it may be an issue at your end with the settings on the Apple devices (Settings can be shared via iCloud).

If the Internet was down for everyone  it would definitely indicate a network issues, which are mentioned here

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Yep - 3 different outages mentioned in our area - which is rubbish but am guessing will be resolved soon.

We have around 15 devices, not all connected at once,

My devices still won't connect with even just 2 others connected.

When we first arrived at the house we checked my macbook with ethernet and it did work for 1 hour and since then has not worked via ethernet cable.

What does (Settings can be shared via iCloud) mean? I can share them with you or our network?

We've got 2 IT workers in the house and we still can't fix the issue.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Gen_R
RetiredModerator

It might be that there are 15 devices registered on the modem and that's why it's not allowing you to connect to the Wi-Fi. Has the Modem been hard reset (through the reset button on the back of the modem).

If you've got specific settings on your phone in regards to Wi-Fi passwords, protocols it can be shared with your other Apple devices on your account and devices, not to do with our network.

If the other devices aren't getting the same error, it's possible it's an issue with your hardware. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Yes the modem has been hard reset,

I sat with my pin on the reset button for over a minute and all the lights did their dance.

Both my apple devices are on the same icloud account.

I work freelance from all across Brisbane / Australia, this is the first home / cable network I have not been able to connect to. I literally use wifi over 100's of other networks in Brisbane per week and this is the only one I cannot get any juice from.

I can fully connect to the network, it just doesn't resolve host and give me juice.

Intermittently this does happen with other peoples devices but seems that I get the worst of it.

Any ideas - if this is to do with the cable faults in Windsor (4030) or  if it's just me.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Gen_R
RetiredModerator

Totally get what you're saying and I can see that they're are three open tickets currently being investigated in Windsor. In my experience it's more than likely your hardware / too many devices registered to that modem in it's settings. I could be wrong though.

You can get the account holder to contact us on 131344 or via chat here who can then authorise you on the account. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor Maurina0
New Contributor

0 Kudos