cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
janinet
New Contributor
New Contributor

Anyone using a mesh type modem with the optus cable router?

I have been reading lots of the posts about how to deal with the poor wifi coverage of the Sagemcom fast3864ac wifi router.

We already have a plug in powerline extender which helps but isn't ideal especially when watching netflix or youtube.

Some people have said that as long as you use the optus modem (I have cable internet) you can use any wifi modem? I just want confirmation that this is true (has anyone been successful?)  and I am debating splashing out a couple of hundered to det a mesh network - but - before I spend the money I want to know if anyone  that is NOT tech savy has made this work (and which system google/netgear/tp-link worked for them).  I am going to play my dumb blonde card here and please reply in terms I can understand 🙂

0 Kudos
4 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Anyone using a mesh type modem with the optus cable router?

Hi Jani,

The main questionis do you want to keep a landline phone? If not then its all very simple. If so then a bit more complicated.

I take it at the moment you have a Optus Cable Connection? Do you have two boxes in your Optus setup (one connected from the wall and the other plugging into that modem?) 

Also when and what NBN tech is you house getting?

The short answer to you question is yes I havea mesh system up and running (use the power line to plug the second modem in at the other end of the house so the back haul of the mesh data to the base unit goes over LAN)

Discus more when you get some answers.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
janine-t
New Contributor
New Contributor

For some reason I coudn't get back on with my janinet user name - Anyway my internet and phone are not connected - I have 2 different phone lines  and numbers(one for a fax)with several jacks around the house and a cable connection that feeds into my modem (then to my under-performing router)

0 Kudos
janine-t
New Contributor
New Contributor

NBN is not due here until mid/late next year

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Do you have two boxes in your Optus setup (one connected from the wall and the other plugging into that modem?) 

Also when and what NBN tech is your house getting?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos