Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Anyone having issue with DWR-956? My router stops working after few hours

Anyone having issue with DWR-956? My router stops working after few hours. Configuration is all fine, like APN 'Connect'.  I have done factory reset - which didn't work.  RMA router with Dlink and new router have same issue

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Anyone having issue with DWR-956? My router stops working after few hours

Hi - what does stop working mean? Does it power down by itself or is it not connecting to the Internet or is the 4G backup WAN not working ? Also would you elaborate on the last sentence - did you get a replacement router from DLink and it did the same thing? Have you assigned a fixed IP address for the DLink WAN port within your front end modem's IP range in case its IP lease expired.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Mkrtich 

Had chat with optus techinical support they advised "Oputs modems are only compatible with OPTUS SIM" this looks very odd to me

i got OPTUS router AC800s, and it never drops the connection only reason i hate about this router, battery drains very quickly.

Lastly,  for LTE (4G), router menu have no options to fix the IP address

Thanks,

M

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Found this from whirlpool forum, not sure if it's true "These plans can only be used with the Optus-supplied modems provided with your 24-month Optus Wireless Broadband plan. Customers on a month-to-month plan will need to purchasea modem at an upfront cost, which will be advised at the time of purchase, in order to use this plan. The SIM supplied with the modem must not be removed from the modem and will not work in any other device."
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi - thanks for your explanation. A friend of mine owns a new Optus ACS800 and had short life issues with his battery - he didn't realise that the power adapter did not to be connected all the time and the battery should be drained to around 20% before recharge. I also pointed out to him that, like other similar devices,  the battery should be able to be removed and the unit operated using 240V power adaptor for extended periods - we verified this with this link.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/Can-I-use-AirCard-without-its-batter...

Are you using the Optus Data SIM from the ACS800 in the DWR-956 - if it was locked to a Optus device, it doesn't explain why it will work for 2-4 hours then drop off? Have you tried to put your mobile phone Voice and Data SIM into the DWR-956 to see of drop outs still occur. Also have you experimented with locating the DRW-956 to another location perhaps nearer to a window that points in the direction of cell tower - you may just have a busy cell tower.

Mobile Data uses CGNAT, where your allocated IP address is not able to be fixed - that is why you don't see a menu option to fix it. The IP address is assigned to you on a dynamic-on-demand basis and can be shared around any other mobile data users during the day. The only thing that comes to mind is, if your DWR-956 is momentarily idle or not used for a certain period, in busy cells, it could be re-assigned to someone else that may cause the odd disconnection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Took AC800S battery out, which worked perfectly fine. On otherhand, i put my work mobile SIM mobile into DLINK router and got the disconnected multiple time.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

That's an interesting post dated June 2019 - I didn't realise I participated in it until I started to read on . I became more familiar with the Huawei B525 after that post as I purchased a used one at a recycle market, tested it and gave it on long term loan to my friend who had the ACS800s battery issue so he could use it as a back up device; at the time his RSP cut off the ADSL service and he faced a 6 month wait for the NBN who had overlooked his apartment in their first round of connections.

I think with any device that is 3G/4G/5G dependent, you will always have some degree of disconnection at times when it used for extended periods and depending on how often this occurs  in your cell coverage area, eventually you have to decide when enough is enough. 

The D-Link DWR 956 is an expensive router with a dual WAN, 3G/4G being the alternative - a good solution for a landline service who needs a back up WAN occasionally when the normal service is down.  I am not sure of the reason why you purchased it - LAN ports for existing devices and continuous power operation certainly stand out. Given your mobile SIM exhibited the same issue in the DLink-WR956, you may wish to consider getting a refund and if you need the functionality offered by a full wireless modem solution, consider purchasing a Netgear Cradle for the ACS800s or another Optus 4G LTE modem . It won't guarantee the occasional drop-out issue disappears, but there may be a chance you may end up with a better solution.

Apart from the flexibility of location and mobility, some people are attracted to the potential speed experience offered by wireless 4G modems - its the sizzle that sells the product and service resulting in many disappointed experiences, as they are very theoretical. However, it is usually a good indication of the modernity of the product's CPU and 4G Modem chip to handle a more demanding task. This may give you an insight as to some options, should you wish to change out your existing DLink.

DLink DWR956: CAT 4 - 150Mbps/50Mbps - 3G/4G , similar to 4G LTE USB Wingle/Stick Wi-Fi Modems; 3G 42 Mbps/5.72 Mbps

Huawei B525s-65a: CAT6 - 300 Mbps/50 Mbps

Netgear AC800s: CAT 11 - 600 Mbps/50 Mbps [original CAT 9 450/50 but upgraded to CAT 11 in firmware]

Huawei B818: CAT 18 or 19 - Optus claim >1 Gbps

Nokia FastMile 5G: Assuming CAT 18/19 - not stated in Optus specs.

As you can see, that little Netgear certainly punches above it weight. Some people have added the optional Netgear cradle for their AC800s - it provides, 240 volt power, external rabbit ear antennae and LAN ports. You may wish to research reviews on it and consider that as an alternative. Optus does not provide support on it. Hope this helps.