Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
RetiredModerator Esther
RetiredModerator

Re: Alternate SMTP port required

No worries at all George - let us know if you need a hand with anything else in the future 🙂

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor IaninKL
New Contributor

I'm currently overseas and most hotels and the like have port 25 blocked to prevent email relaying. Typically I use port 587 with my other email accounts with/without encryption as required by the particular hosting company. It's quite an annoyance that of all the ISP's I use Optusnet is the only one that mandates port 25 rather than one of the "secure" ports. I configure Outlook/Thunderbird or email on my Macbooks to use smtp.gmail.com with 587 for my SMTP but it means that replies come back to gmail rather than my Optusnet Inbox even though I've set the Reply-To address to Optusnet.
0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

Hey @IaninKL, so sorry but you'll have to contact our faults team on 131344 or on live chat →  http://yesopt.us/chat2us to discuss this.  You can also call on +61 2 8082 5678  (Free call from overseas from a Optus Mobile).

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor BernieC
New Contributor

Can we request that Optus enables secure SMTP ports.

My VPN blocks 25 as it is targeted by spam.

What would be the technical difficulty of enabling 465 or 587?

I have to turn off VPN to send an email, so no protection whatsoever.

Perhaps in enough people ask, it may get attention!!

Thanks Crowd.... love your work 🙂

New Contributor Bossingsteve
New Contributor

Hi,
I am a lonnnggg time Optus customer and admit support is usually very goodSmiley Happy butttt....... hasn't been in this case Smiley Frustrated

I support the request for another port.
I spend significant time overseas and am continuously having trouble with Port 25 for outgoing Mail. It seems unrealistic  (and impossible) to ask all ISPs around the world to change to fix this. There must be a lot of people out there that experience this but either blame the local service provider or get too frustrated with the lack of assistance given to this issueSmiley Sad.

pleaseeeeee give us a real solution.

Cheers

0 Kudos