Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
Contributor Ralph
Contributor

Alternate SMTP port required

By default, Optus requires port 25 to be used for the outgoing mail server, but I now require a different port in order to send emails, as my VPN provider blocks port 25 to prevent spam.

They tell me that I need to connect through an authenticated email server on another port, and they suggested 587, however I found that neither 587 nor 465 work with the mail.optusnet.com.au SMTP server.

I found that I can actually connect using TLS (rather than no security at all) but still only via port 25. What other SMTP port will work, with authentication?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Re: Alternate SMTP port required

Hey Ralph, thanks for posting in the Community. 

If you'd like to PM me your contact number and account info I'm more than happy to have a look into this further for you.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Contributor Ralph
Contributor

Hi Hollie,

Thanks I have PMd you my contact details.

Cheers,

Ralph

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Alfagt76
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I'm looking for SMTP access on either port 465 or 587 too please, can you please advise the solution,

thanks.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Hey Aldagt76,

This is not something we support or can assist with setting up - I'd suggest contacting your IT tech to help with this.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Contributor Ralph
Contributor

Hi Alfagt76,

I never got a response from Hollie about this despite having PMd my details as requested... waaay back when. Thanks for bumping the topic and congratz on actually getting a response. Really not good enough, especially trying to pass you off onto your "IT tech" - sure, everyone has one of those these days, right...

My solution was to send my email through TPG instead, with whom there is no problem with in this regard. I realise this is a less-than-optimal solution, since most people won't have the 'luxury' of having 2 ISPs.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ritchie, thanks for the update.

Hollie, I can easily change my email client to use ports 465 or 687 for SMTP, the problem is this doesn't work because Optus blocks this. If you won't change this policy or provide a workaround, can you please explain why. Also please do not give the blanket answer of "security", if anything port 25 is less secure because a lot of spam comes that way.

Appreciate a meaningful answer.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Oops, Ralph, not Ritchie, my mistake!

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Hey Guys

I can confirm we don't support secure SMTP via port 465 and I think you're referring to port 587 which we also don't allow authentication through. Our Optus severs only allow access through port 110 for incoming POP mail and 25 for outbound. This is for security reasons and also because this is a basic mail service which is provided free with each Internet connection. If you require an email service that allows you to change the ports used for SMTP I would recommend seeking an alternative email host or setting up your own domain name.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mollie, that is a definite enough statement, yes I did mean port 587, typo on my part, I don't find it a particular complete explanation but don't wish to persue it any further in this forum.

I'm moving house later this year and will consider this when deciding upon an ISP provider at the new location, there are many other things to consider of course, of late my Optusnet cable speeds have been quite good and I don't want to sacrifice that just to overcome this particular limitation.

regards, George.

0 Kudos