Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor SuperTed
New Contributor

Adsl2+ speed is slower then 4G mobile broadband

Hi,

Ive just moved onto ADSL2+ broadband from a wireless broadband plan.(both optus)

The speeds that i am currently getttig through the optus supplied modem is 3.4mbps at best 😞 

Where as with the mobile broadband i was recieving around 11mbps...

Seeing as the package i signed up for stated i could get upto 20mbps i assumed i would be getting at least half that and more.

A tech from telstra had to come out and conect the wiring etc both in my house and then to the exchange. they stated the line is all good so it must be either optus or the modem??

Trying to watch netflix/stan etc on the Fetch box is frustrating as it is always buffering

Any help around this would be great.. i am on the top Adsl plan with the premium sagemcom modem

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Adsl2+ speed is slower then 4G mobile broadband

Unfortunately with ADSL speeds Telcos are allowed to say "up to". There is really no guarantee of speeds on ADSL2+ (and in fairness its not really possible to know what line speeds you can get until you are connected). So 4Mbps is not an unusual number for many ADSL2+ customers. 

If Telstra have confirmed the line is good then Its possible Optus can do something on their end or replace the modem, but IMO its unlikely you'll see a big bump in speeds. For this reason many ADSL customers are signing onto the 12Mbps speeds of mobile broadband while they wait for the NBN to arrive. 

But with those speeds you should be able to request Optus drop the contract and you can migrate back to mobile (if it can't be sorted).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

Hey @SuperTed - thanks for reaching out. @petergdownload raised some very good points here. As mentioned, the speeds are only 'up to' 20Mbps and a number of factors can contribute to slow speeds.
How many devices do you have connected by WiFi? Do you happen to notice any changes when connected via Ethernet? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor SuperTed
New Contributor

Hi thanks for the reply,

I have turned off all wifi devices and connected to the modem directly with the laptop and when speed tested im still recieveing the same speed.

surely this cant be the max i can recieve? its struggles to stream the fetch tv i recieved with the package.. very disapointing

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

Okay. Can you please confirm your account details, full name and DOB via PM? I'll run some tests from my end. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos