cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Additional internet

No problems. Leave the distance thing aside (since its not a factor). You have one room with a NBN modem and its got a cable going to another room (happens to be 80m away but that's sorted). Plug your equipment in, in the second room and your done.

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The switch has no wifi. I'll need a router won't I to hook up my phone 📱 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yep. If you only had one PC in the flat you could drop the switch altogether. If you want wifi then yes replace the switch with a router with wifi ability. Just use it's WAN port to plug it into the 100m cable.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So will I get a router or range extender for the other end of the Ethernet cable

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ni success again, I bought a good booster and plugged it in and am only picking up my telstra phone line or something. I'm so frustrated. Thought I run a long extension lead and try the plugs would that work or not with wifi only with a port???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Not sure why the booster? 

I would suggest you try find a techy person (might be a store person) and explain your setup and have them run you through it. 

1st thing to do is to get your setup working in the main house. So unplug the 100m cable and put it to one side. Use a short cat6 cable instead. So in your front room you should have:

1. Wall plate with main modem plugged into it. PC plugged into main modem. Able to surf internet on PC on main modem.

2. Set up wifi on main modem for main house.

So basically get the main house part working. Then

3. Plug in a short ethernet cable into the main modem and in the same room plug the other end into the flat modem.

4. Be able to find the settings on the flat modem. 

5. Plug the PC in to the flat modem and be able to surf the internet.

6. Set the flat wifi up on the flat modem

After you've confirmed this is all working only then introduce the 100m cable (just replace the short cable with the long one) and /or any other equipment. Take the steps methodically to ensure at each stage equipment is working as you need it.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS Two tips: Make sure the two modems/routers don't have the same IP address (192.168.0.1?). Make sure only one device has DHCP enabled in its settings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ok its all working fine in house. The lady said get the booster not a router. The cable mucks it up cause the other end gets a tiny signal but drops out. I'm over it

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So I need another modem?? The eoman said not a router as I'd need to plug it into the modem and the router doubling up on two long Ethernet cables

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Might be time to put it down for the night.

100m is the far end of ethernet so if its not good cable it may find that distance challenging.

As I said above. Have you confirmed the entire setup you currently all works fine if the only difference is that you are using a 1m ethernet cable instead of the 100m one? 

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

It's working!!! Took back the silly range extender, didn't listen to th a lady gain Nd got the original router I was going to buy yesterday.  Turned out the ports weren't working properly then my optus modem died, so this morning hooked up my old telstra modem and it all works fine,  except the phone port for some reason, but not worrying about that at moment. Optus might replace my modem as it's only a couple of months old. Took me 5 minutes in end to set it up!!! 

Thankyou