Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Additional Broadband allowance

With so many of us now working and studying from home, I know I won't be the only one who has already reached their maximum broadband allowance on home broadband with several days to go. Normal usage assumptions are just not relevant for these times.

The Optus app is helpfully pinging me every day to tell me that they will / have already extended allowance at a prohibitive rate of $10/10Gb. At this rate of data use, I will likely be up for an additional $200 before the new cycle roles in.

I can't talk to Optus on the 'phone, they say message. When I message, they say it'll take 2 -3 days to respond... has anyone got any ideas for how to get a response from them? I would have thought that given that "we're all in this together" that Optus would have a community wide policy that acknowledges people are going to be using more data than normal and would initiate a special adjustment without profiteering from selling incremental data at such premium.

Have asked in this forum in the hope that Optus are monitoring it and it might help sharpen their focus on helping their customers in this way.

7 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Additional Broadband allowance

Optus would have a community wide policy that acknowledges people are going to be using more data than normal and would initiate a special adjustment without profiteering from selling incremental data at such premium.

Sounds a little harsh to me, you don't think Optus is burning as well? Call centres being shut down, setting up new ones in Aus, hiring impacted Australians for those jobs all while a quick google search shows they are helping the community as well....

https://www.optus.com.au/about/media-centre/media-releases/2020/03/optus-update-covid-19-coronavirus...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus do monitor these forums (they'd be silly not to) and hopefully your comment will be passed on somewhere. We are indeed "all in this together" which does work both ways. For example their 2-3 day time frame and communications in general is obviously affected.

FWIW The $10 fee has been around forever so its not profiteering (although I find the fee itself has always been reprehensible). But one reason it is there to manage usage across the network. Just because you (and everybody) suddenly want massive amounts of data doesn't mean that Optus infrastructure can accommodate it.

Optus has already increased allowances for free for most customers but its just not possible to allow a free for all. You don't say, but I assume you are on a wireless broadband plan? If you need more data then just purchase a 500Gb plan (currently at $68 say for 48 hours). You can either replace your existing plan or just buy it as a second one (you don't need to buy a new modem and the plans are all month to month)

PS And I'd suggest stop racking up the debts for now. Take the limits seriously and find a way to work with in the limitations you currently have. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@SamSam. Of course I know that they are working through it too - I’m not blind to the fact that these are extraordinary times and everyone is working as best they can.

Thank you for pointing me to the media release. In it, it says that they are uncapping all internet data allowances for home broadband. Which is exactly the kind or response I was hoping for. Thank you for high-lighting. Would be even better if they had turned off the automatic emails and texts then that continue to tell me that I have new fees piling up, or sent me some communication to that effect at least.

The irony is that having never commented on this kind of chat before, I had initially felt like writing to thank them for boosting the signal in my area recently.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you. Sound advice.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@petergdownload - not immediately obvious how you go about buying an additional plan without the modem on a month to month basis. If you know, would very much appreciate being pointed in the right direction. Thank you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Big thank you to those who helped me in this thread, plus especially big thank you to Arron in Southlands Optus store who helped me so well just now.

If it is helpful for others who might have a similar situation:

1. @petergdownload was correct assuming that I have the home wireless broadband option so not covered by Optus’ uncapping home broadband for April. He was also correct that the best option is to sign up to additional month to month data pack. Now have second SIM card that I now have swapped into the modem.

2. The only issue is that you can’t do this online, you have to go into a store. Hence very helpful Arron.

Thank you again.

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Wow. That was fast @TimSkellern . Second SIM already in hand? I thought you had to order online - can you get them in store? 

Hopefully only need the extra data for 3-6 months and things can get back to 'normal' after that.

0 Kudos