cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor Freshy
New Contributor

Adding my Netspace email to Outlook... all gone pear-shaped since I moved my ISP to Optus Cable!

Hi Crowd,

I have recently moved to Optus Cable after being a long time Netspace (now iinet) customer.

However I now cannot access my netspace emails via outlook - webmail is ok.

I have tried all sorts of incoming and outgoing server configurations without any success.  I know the credentials are correct as I am using same creds on webmail and on my other devices.

Ideas please.....

Note - Using Outlook for Mac Version 16.17

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Adding my Netspace email to Outlook... all gone pear-shaped since I moved my ISP to Optus Cable!

Incoming would be the Netspace mail server with your Netspace username and password and outgoing would be mail.optusnet.com.au port 25 no authentication no encryption.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Freshy
New Contributor

Re: Adding my Netspace email to Outlook... all gone pear-shaped since I moved my ISP to Optus Cable!

you would think so but I continue to get an 'Unable to sign in' error message.

I know the credentials are correct as I use same to access webmail on same computer (and on my other devices).

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes understand but not being able to sign in would be a Netscape issue. There is actually a whole page dedicated to this issue on the link below. It even gives you the different outgoing ports if you are not using an iiNet group email account. What is the incoming mail sever in your settings and are you setup with an IMAP or POP  account? When you say webmail is working are you referring to Optus, iiNet or Netscape? You want to use your Netscape email with Optus correct?

https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/support/node/12051#3rdpartymail

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Excuse the typos as I can't get Netscape out of my head when you are actually referring to Netspace. I guess the good old Netscape Navigator Gold web browser left a lasting impression....

0 Kudos
New Contributor Freshy
New Contributor

No problem on the typos 🙂

I have tried the mail.netspace.net.au, pop.netspace.net.au, mail.iinet.net.au servers all as per the variety of configs the iinet group offer and spent quite a few hours on their tech support line with no resolution.

I have my outgoing mail set to mail.,optusnet.com.au port 25.

I can access my netspace email via their webmail and the creds I have inputted into the Outlook settings.... hence my extreme frustration at this.

Does Optus block any ports I should know about??

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

No ports are blocked as far as I am aware. Are you able to ping the server and did support get you to try the bare basic settings of a pop3 account using port 110 for your incoming mail settings?

ping mail.netspace.net.au

Pinging mail.netspace.net.au [203.0.178.196] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 203.0.178.196: bytes=32 time=64ms TTL=241
Reply from 203.0.178.196: bytes=32 time=63ms TTL=241
Reply from 203.0.178.196: bytes=32 time=62ms TTL=241
Reply from 203.0.178.196: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=241

Ping statistics for 203.0.178.196:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 62ms, Maximum = 71ms, Average = 65ms

ping pop.netspace.net.au

Pinging pop.netspace.net.au [210.15.254.200] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 210.15.254.200: bytes=32 time=143ms TTL=234
Reply from 210.15.254.200: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=234
Reply from 210.15.254.200: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=234
Reply from 210.15.254.200: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=234

Ping statistics for 210.15.254.200:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 28ms, Maximum = 143ms, Average = 60ms

0 Kudos
New Contributor Freshy
New Contributor

Hi.

I can ping each of the servers but am trying to telnet to specific port numbers (e.g. 

telnet pop.netspace.net.au 110)

without getting any response.

Any other suggestions how I can test specific IP and port access??

Thx

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You do have telnet running? Not sure how it works on a Mac. Smiley Sad

Edit: Have you got another device you can try it on and another network like a mobile phone tethered? I don't know enough about the Mac but I would be checking the firewall and antivirus is not blocking it as well. Try your telnet commands with the Optus mail server as well. I use "open pop.netspace.net.au 110" with telnet.

telnet1.jpg

telnet2.jpg

0 Kudos