on 03/06/19 I have requested that my account and services (Broadband + Fixed line) are cancelled on 30/06/19. The services were turned off, but I never received a final bill. Instead the monthly bills (incl. late fees) keep coming.
I have called the hotline twice, went to a store, and have been on the LiveChat FOUR!!! times now. The first three times I was assured the account was cancelled and I would receive a final bill in the next billing cycle (July, then August).
The fourth time on the Chat, I was told the cancellation order is "stuck" and hasn't been processed by Optus. I was again told to ignore the bills and I would receive a final bill within 5-7 business days after 20/08/19 as well as an email confirmation within 24h that everything is cancelled.
I have neither received a final bill or a confirmation that this issue is finalised and my account/services are cancelled.
I read here that other people had the same issue.
Please contact me to get this solved ASAP since you don't even reply to lodged complaints
Hi there TobiasH,
That does sound like a frustrating and unnecessary experience.
Generally customer's are unable to request a future dated cancellation of their services, they would need to contact Optus when it is ready to be disconnected.
However in saying that, based on what you have described, it obviously should have been taken care of by now.
Orders can get stuck which would mean the bills would continue on however the agent you raise this with when it reaches this point should take care of it.
We’re unable to look into account details on Yes Crowd.
If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details. Copying and pasting what you have posted above is fine, just include your account info as well.
Let us know how you go.
Thanks for the reply.
Following your advice, I contacted Optus via Facebook. I was told that the account is cancelled and the bills in question have now been waived (Apparently, a customer rep tried to call me on my disconnected landline/mobile phone to tell me that?! FYI, as indicated in multiple communications to Optus, I have permanently moved overseas and have no longer access to my disconnected landline, Australian mobile phone number, or letter box.)
However, I was also advised to expect yet another bill in the future. Should that occur, I have to contact Optus yet again to have the fees waived. Makes me think that this issue is not finalised at all.
Since June, I have contacted Optus:
- In-store (we don't do cancellations in a store because of reasons, call the hotline),
- via the hotline (got disconnected twice after 40+ minutes without resolution, $10 AUD mobile phone charges),
- LiveChat (managed to get a cancellation ID the first time, told 2x times after that contract is cancelled and ignore bills; then told 3rd time after 3 months that contract is still running),
- via online complaint form (a dedicated service rep will contact you via email within 2 business days - Never happened),
- via email requesting contract cancellation (Didn't even acknowledge receipt of email),
- via letter to Customer Relations Group PO Box (Didn't receive acknowledgment of receipt, probably sent to a place I don't even live anymore),
- Forum (go contact Optus on Facebook or Twitter),
- Facebook (Your contract is now cancelled but more bills might still be on the way. Contact us again if that happens.)
So, here is my follow-up question. Why is Optus unable to provide a somewhat more official document (PDF or email) confirming "Your account is now cancelled. This is your final account balance. Thanks"?
Seems like Optus is over-complicating things a tiny bit here.
It's tricky to know why this is occurring as we don't have visibility of customer accounts here on Yes Crowd.
My guess would be the cancelled account was only done so recently during the current bill cycle so any charges from the cancellation date to the end of the billing period are unbilled so not known/visible yet.
Thankfully now that you've had successful contact with the Facebook team, if another bill with charges does come through it should be straight forward from there once you let them know about it.