cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Access to denied to one website

Hi all,

Hoping you can help me out.

For the last few days I have been unable to connect to http://www.bom.gov.au when using my WiFi Cable Broadband. No devices on the wifi can access this site. It is the only site that seems to be blocked and this only started a few days ago.

This is the message I get. 

You don't have permission to access "http://www.bom.gov.au/" on this server.

Reference #18.ceb63b17.1535515683.814d19

Optus were unable to fix it. I have turned off the modem several times but it makes no difference.

Any ideas please?

PS. I'm not that tech savvy!

Cheers

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Access to denied to one website

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/Access-Denied-You-don-t-have-permission-to-acc...

You have to force the router to get a new IP address. Turn it off for a while and see if google tells you it's a new IP address, when you type "what is my IP address"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply but no joy. Seems my IP address is fixed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

There is a tendency for the network to detect your modem's MAC number and assign the same IP to it. However, this cycle may be broken by keeping the modem off for a long time. Two days is one suggestion. You could try overnight.

Another thing people on Telstra can do is put the modem into static IP mode, and type some random IP into it, then go back to dynamic and see if it changes... but some people say not.

Ultimately, you could get a spare modem.

If the problem is due to BOM blacklisting your IP, it suggests that your IP can change.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hey @Weatherman - not great to hear if you're having trouble accessing BOM's website. Are you able to confirm what Network your service is on? (NBN / Cable / ADSL etc)?

It'll also be helpful if you can run a trace route on your computer for us. This'll give us some diagnostic info which may help get this resolved. 

If you're not sure how to run a trace route, there's instructions online here which have a step-by-step with screenshots. The instructions will vary if you're using a Windows computer or a Mac. 

Once you've done this, please send me a private message with the results and we'll look into it.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos