cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Acceptable uptime

Can anyone tell me what is considered to be acceptable uptime for an OPTUS NBN Connection? I havenot been able to find anything on the OPTUS website. Is 98% uptime considered acceptable or is 20% uptime considered acceptable?

Over the past couple of months my NBN connection has been so unrelaible it is not worth having.  Working from home, I rely on having an internet connection. If I did not have a backup 4g mobile broadband connection, by business would have been riuned by now.  

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Acceptable uptime

Hmmm never come across that question before. I'm assuming you've logged a fault? Those sorts of outages would suggest a line problem to me, possibly hardware in your home (as in your modem) but I would have hoped tech support could have resolved it by now. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sam

I have logged a Fault. Three different ticked numbers, On my second modem had a NBN tech out here. I'm just wondering if this is as good as it gets? May be good for a day or two and then goes back to being unusable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@scottle, as for what we'd consider to be 'acceptable' up-time. I'd say as a customer, I'd expect the service to be up almost 100% of the time. 

I don't think any reasonable person would purchase a service knowing that they can only expect to use their service 80% of the time. 

Can you quote the fault reference number we'd last given you? I just want to see where we're at with this one. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan

Thanks for your reply.  My  latest reference number is 18435654

The big question Is really What is considered to be an acceptable NBN connection uptime?

If you pay for a utility such as gas or electricity, you would expect that as long as you are paying for the service, then it should be available for use 100% of the time. You should just simply be able to turn on the gas or electric light and it should work. This used to be the same perception with a wired phone connection.

With the NBN we no longer have a wired phone connection as it used to be as we now have VOIP So for this service just like anything else we want to access the internet for we must have an internet connection. 

My experience with the OPTUS NBN service to date  has proven that the service is not always available,  with dropouts and service interruptions.  So are we to are to just simply accept that dropouts and service interruptions are now a part of life? If so  to what percentage of time should we accept that this is ok and stop complaining?

Kind Regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I've sent you a PM. You're welcome to chat with us there 🙂 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan

I am assuming a PM is a personal Message? If so how do I access this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

There should be a message inbox on your profile page.

You should of received an email with the link as well. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan

There is no message in my profile. I have not checked webamail for my optusnet email address as I don't use that email address.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Ah, that's odd :S

I've sent another one.

Can you check that for me? 

0 Kudos