Searching...

Abysmal broadband speeds

Popov

For many months, we have been experiencing download speeds of 0.08 Mbps (yes, you saw right!) and, on average 2-5 Mbps on ADSL2+.  Optus agree that there is a network congestion problem and can't give a date when it will improve.  Having told us previously, that we couldn't get cable at our address, they have now confirmed that we can.  We are already out of contract.  We have asked to be connected to cable without having to enter into a new contract but the only thing they will offer is to waive the activation fee.  

They also say that we would have to forfeit our existing landline number (which we have had for 20 years) and get a new landline number.

Any thoughts, please?

Re: Abysmal broadband speeds

SamSam

With cable your phone service runs through your internet connection like a VOIP phone as opposed to through the copper wire that you'd most likely have now. I still think it's strange but I'd say the change in technology is the reason for losing your number.

As for the contract, I can see it from both sides. I'd say at the very least, given what you've already gone through, that you have them agree to waive the contract in the first 30-60 days if the new service isn't adequate either. And get them to put that in writing via an email. In my experience, cable is a far superior service so hopefully once you get it it's that great you wouldn't consider changing anyway but I can understand your apprehension. 1 to 2 months to test it should be adequate though and that way you have an easy way out if need be.

Also, I checked costs for exiting a contract early. According to the T&C's for most bundles the maximum fee is $375 ($300 for the internet and $75 for the home phone). Most ISP's gradually drop that fee based on how long you've had the service but the T&C's for Optus don't mention that so might be worth checking it out.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

Popov

Many thanks.  I have already suggested a "test period" but it was not accepted.  However, the TIO advise me that I could escalate it to them if I signed a new contract and the service wasn't satisfactory.  My point is that I have already fulfilled my contract and, if it weren't for the inadequate speeds, I wouldn't be changing and wouldn't need to be under contract!

Highlighted

SamSam

Yeah I get what you're saying 100%. I just had a look and cable is offered on a month to month option as well. If they've offered to waive the sign up fee of $125, you could just go for that option? It's $15 extra a month but I'm quite sure when your'e out of contract it reverts to off contract pricing anyway so even if you were on this all along it'd be the same price.

Outside of that I don't really have any ideas sorry. Best of luck to you though!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
79 Kudos
78 Kudos
52 Kudos
42 Kudos
30 Kudos