Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Faz
Occasional Contributor

ADSL2 so slow can't use netflix

I've recently moved to Woronora heights and the only internet available here is adsl2, previously I had NBN, prior to moving.

i was on a $80 plan which they transferred to my new place.

Internet  is less than pathetic takes about 4 minutes for Netflix to load to the home screen and times out whenever I try and watch anything.

My package came with fetch tv, waste of time even connecting it up.

NBN is supposed to be here early next year is there anything that can be done.

hotspotting my phone is ten times quicker than what I'm paying for.

cheers

John

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ADSL2 so slow can't use netflix

It could be simply a matter of distance from the exchange that is causing the problem. Do you know what speeds you are getting or how far away from the exchange you are? The links below should help you with both of those questions.

http://www.speedtest.net/

https://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply speed test.  I believe the exchange is at Sutherland.

IMG_3995.PNG

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Based on your speed you are getting towards the maximum limits of adsl. Netflix recommends a connection speed of 1.5 Mbps as the link below shows. If you are using the internet on more than one device simultaneously you may have troubles just browsing the web let alone using Netflix.

If you put your phone number into that second link I provided on my first reply (top left side of the page) it should give you the distance from the exchange. Without knowing that I can't tell you if your connection speed is what you should be getting.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Unlike the NBN there is no minimum speed isps need to meet. All user's can get between 1 and 20 Mbps. It depends on distance to the exchange as mentioned 

You've list that particular lottery this time I'm afraid. With those speeds though you should be able to get the contract cancelled without fuss. 

Instead you should probably look to get a 200Gb mobile plan as you seen to have good reception. This might be limited to 12mbps (still good enough) or can be full speed 4g these days on some plans.

Just saw this recent Optus deal that looks exactly what you need while waiting for the nbn (200gb for $60 a month)

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/mobile-broadband/data-sim-card

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thx for the response, distance from exchange attached.

not happy that not only have they transferred me across on a $80 a month plan and I'm paying for fetch TV which I can't use.

pretty poor service.

IMG_3996.PNG

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Your estimated cable length suggests you should be getting better speeds than what you are. The unfortunate thing about ADSL is that the condition of the line itself can also come into play. I would check that all your fittings and filters are secure and try and keep cable lengths to the minimum length as possible. Where the modem connects to line should be the first point into the house and not an extension. If all that fails I think I would be having a word with support and see if they can come up with something to improve your speed.

In the event that nothing can be done you may be able to exit your contract and look at some other type of connection. As Peter suggests wireless is always an option if its available in your area. 

0 Kudos