Searching...
Highlighted

ADSL2+ is VERY VERY slow at night

zeromelody

Hi,

As the title suggests, our internet connection is extremely slow at night time, probably after 5 or 6PM and lasts until around 11PM. Here is a speed test of the internet speed at night:

speed test

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4444056327.png

As you can see, it is unacceptably slow. It has gotten to the point where I can barely watch a YouTube video in 360p without buffering and freezes!

This problem has been an ongoing problem ever since we began our service with Optus. However, it has been much more noticeable recently as we have 3 teenage children living in our household where it is now imperative that we have a reliable connection for the children to do their school work at night.

I've done isolation tests (removing home phone, testing with just modem, testing with new modem, turning wi-fi off etc.) and this problem still happens whether you're connected to Wi-Fi or directly with LAN. I've called Optus and a technician has come out but the problem still remains. This leads me to believe that it has something to do with the network/congestion/speed throttling. Is there a fix for this issue as this is just plain unacceptable when you're paying <$100 per month for an internet connection that doesn't work half the time!

Re: ADSL2+ is VERY VERY slow at night

Hollie

Heya zeromelody

Sorry to hear about the problems you've been having with the internet speeds Smiley Sad Looks like you've done all of the basic troubleshooting I'd normally ask for. When the tech came out did they provide any information about what they had a look at? If you were affected by congestion usually our tech support guys would pick this up on the inital call. Apologies if this was missed. If you have a fault reference number handy I can have a look into this for you further.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

zeromelody

Well when I called I didn't specifically say that it only occured at night, so the lady on the phone attrubuted the slow speed to a fault in the lines and a tech came to the house. Unfortunately, I was not home at that time but my mother was and she said the tech couldn't find any problems. The reference number was 13191021

Hollie

Heya zeromelody

Thanks for posting back with the reference number - sorry for the delay in responding. I can confirm our Engineers are currently in the process of upgrading the exchange you're connected to to try and alleviate some of the troubles you're having with speeds. There's no ETR at this stage but I can confirm all works are on track to be completed in the near future. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
78 Kudos
68 Kudos
52 Kudos
41 Kudos
26 Kudos