Searching...

ADSL2+ connection - no vacant pair available

gazzawp

I recently moved house with the idea that my current ISP, TPG, would relocate my ADSL service. After 2 weeks of frustration, I am now at a point where Telstra have said there are 'no current pairs available' and the whole process has stalled. I applied to Internode for a naked ADSL service as the previous owner had that service and account here until 10/5 with Internode. Same result. This morning I spoke to Optus (on 3 separate occasions to three different sales people via Chat) and was assured that a) Optus could connect me because there were over 300 ports available to Optus at the local exchange, Mawson ACT) and b) no technician would be required to attend at my home and that all that was required is a self installation when the modem is delivered. Despite my sceptism , I went ahead with the application. Can someone please confirm that what I was told is correct? I work from home and am currently having to use mobile broadband and don't want to wait 9 business days for the modem to arrive only to find it is not possible to connect.

thanks in advance

Re: ADSL2+ connection - no vacant pair available

SamSam

No one's going to be able to confirm that for you unfortunately.

Normally though, Optus' system would allow them to place an order for you if there wasn't any ports in your area. I'd wait and see what happens because it sounds like no one else is going to be able to help anyway so you'll at least not be going backwards

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

gazzawp

thanks Samsam. in terms of port availability your comments make perfect sense. what about the question of no technician /self installation is all that is required to set up adsl - is that your and others experience with Optus?

SamSam

For ADSL, it's quite common, especially if there has been an active service at the property recently which you mentioned. You'd only need a technician if there was no phone line and/or you didn't feel confident and wanted someone to come and plug the modem into the wall for you.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

PhilC

Hi @gazzawp have you since been able to activate your internet connection? If you'd like us to take a look into the account feel free to send through the full name, number and date of birth attached to your services via a PM here →http://yesopt.us/pmphil

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

ar3a51

Hi,

I got the same exact problem.  This time with TPG.  The previous tenant was able to connect, now this time I can't even though i'm gonna use the same service.

Just wondering if optus can help me out.  I live in Broadmeadows VIC

Dan_C

Hey @ar3a51, I'm happy to try and help out. You'd placed an order with TPG who've since advised that there's no vacant pair at the address? This could mean a couple of things.

• The old tenant hasn't actually disconnected their service. The service may still be active with which ever ISP they were connected with.
  • The tenant had disconnected their service but the line was never actually handed back to Telstra wholesale. Therefore there's a discrepancy with the data they hold within their systems.
  • There's no physical line available to provide you with an ADSL service (this is obviously not the case as a former tenant was able to connect).

Send us a PM with your address, we'll run a couple of checks for you Smiley Happy

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Dan_C

@ar3a51, just a quick heads up. I've replied back to your private message. I think you should find some of my information helpful. 

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Drgt74

Hi having same issue with tpg

we are in a townhouse in matraville in Sydney’s south east 

had tpg adsl for 2 years no issues

moved from one townhouse to another like 6 houses away

now they can’t reconnect me

no vacant pair from Telstra???

thats 3 times they have submitted it

3 times same rejection from Telstra 

driving me crazy

so annoying 

what can I do

house has 3 phone outlets 

tried all no dial tone

i rang Telstra to try get the old number and they were looking into it 

havent heard back

not sure what to do next

seems everyone in here has it but I can’t get it?

any help appreciated 

Dan_C

@Drgt74, the rejection notice, 'No Vacant Pair' can refer to one of two things.

• The former owner/tenant hasn't disconnected their broadband service. Telstra wholesale pre-checks would indicate that the copper pair is currently in use and cannot be taking over without authorisation from the owner of the service. The gaining provider isn't given any further information other than the generic, 'no vacant pair' rejection notice. 
  • There’s simply no lines running into the premises. Has the townhouse only recently been constructed? 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
66 Kudos
39 Kudos
32 Kudos
30 Kudos
18 Kudos