Searching...
Highlighted

ADSL2+ Speed Issues

Itsmechristiaan

For the past 4-5 months I have had terrible speeds on my ADSL2+ connection in Carnegie Victoria. I was getting consistent speeds of 3-8mbps when using speed checkers but for the past 6 months it has been too slow to stream or download, and for the past month has been cutting out, and been loading so slowly webpages time out. Speed test indicates maximum DL speed of between 80-200kbps when it is connecting.

Optus are impossible to get a hold of over the phone or live chat. I am paying over $100 a month for a service which is not consistently working/available. Customer service seems overwhealmed all the time. Also sold the package with FetchTV but was never able use since speeds could never keep up with it.

Other details: Only 1 device is trying to use the internet (device is fine), Using the Optus modem/router, don't bother turning on wifi since its too slow to work.

Any ideas??

Re: ADSL2+ Speed Issues

Itsmechristiaan

Further - These speeds are not 'time of the day' dependant. Its so slow all the time. Even Netflix cannot load properly. Another service I'm paying for. 
So I stream on my tablet which uses my mobile data and have already gone over 4 times this month.

Yeldarb

Does the speed improve during the day? It could be a congestion issue however cutting out completely seems a bit extreme. Have you spoken with support at all or done any trouble shooting steps such as a complete isolation test?

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Fixed-Broadband-FAQ/How-to-run-an-Isolation-Test-ADSL/td-p/124323

Itsmechristiaan

I have tried on 7 separate occasions to wait on hold on the phone or live chat and havent been put through to anyone in the hour or so I waited each time. Once I got through but was disconnected.
Thankyou for that link, I will go through that when I get home and get back to you.

Yeldarb

I saw your second post only after I posted mine and given the speeds do not vary it may have nothing to do with congestion. It’s a process of elimination with an isolation test and the best way to try and determine where the problem may lay.

It could be noise on your line, malfunctioning filters or even a stuffed modem just to name some of the possibilities.  I know it can be painful but contacting support is probably your best bet if all else fails. 

Itsmechristiaan

Did isolation test to no avail. Halfway through the speed test the internet stopped working but the '@' (Internet) light stayed solid green without flickering. Reloaded the page and it started working again and started flickering.

DL speed at 9:30pm is 0.6mbps.

Yeldarb

If you pick up the phone do you hear any hissing, ticking or any unusual noises? To get rid of the dial tone just hit any number once. If there is no noise on your line and you are certain your testing device is functioning correctly then the problem may be with the modem itself. At this stage it would probably pay to speak with Optus about getting the line tested or trying a replacement modem.

Itsmechristiaan

I have never had a phone plugged into it so I don't have one to test it with. But I am on hold to Optus now - 2nd call attempt - 26 minutes and counting.

Thanks for your suggestion Smiley Happy

mickeygo

Heya, sorry to bring up an old thread, but just wondering what you speed is like now in Carnegie?

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
62 Kudos
42 Kudos
32 Kudos
32 Kudos
16 Kudos