cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

ADSL speed unbearably slow for having to pay $120 per month

Hi i recently signed up to a 24 month contract which i was told is ADSL2+ home broadband
However I have only been given the standard ADSL connection, the current speeds of between 5-6 mb/s isnt enough for our home
I was told by optus that it would be an ASDL2 + connection and assumed that id get at least the ADSL2+ speeds of up to 24mb/s
Im paying $120 a month and its simply too slow for the price - is there anything that can be done to upgrade my connection to adsl2+ or cable internet      ?

I can get those rubbish speeds from another provide for half the price
I only agreed to a 24 month contract because i thought it was ADSL2+ speed i was getting
Im sure you can understand my frustration - sorry to complain but that speed just isnt good enough for the price    

I have been long time mobile customer with optus and its really disappointing to have been misnformed by optus staff. very poor

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: ADSL speed unbearably slow for having to pay $120 per month

Hi,

What postcode and Street are you in? 

Why do you think it is ADSL and not ADSL2?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

The address is Milleara Road Keilor East 3033 VIC

The plan setups are called reach plans and there are only $100 and $120 options available, these are completely different and somehow more expensive than the advertised ADSL2+ plans?

I have already checked too and my area says it can get ADSL2+ here so im not sure why i ended up with just ADSL

The download speed tops out at absolute max 7.77mb/s

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

The best I could ever get with ADSL2+  was 10Mbps or 1.5 Mbs and thats pretty good if you want better than you will have to go with NBN.

And by the way Mbs and Mbps are not the same thing 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I can't get nbn in my area until Jan 2019. So still a fair way off.

I've calculated my distance to the exchange and it estimated my adsl2+ speed should be around 14mbps. I'd be happy with that but for $120 per month the speed just isn't good enough

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Distance to the exchange (and the quality of the wires) might end up with just as bad connection speeds on ADSL2+. As mentioned 8Mbps is pretty good for any ADSL technology. The cost is not for the speed but for providing the connection outside the Optus footprint. I'd definitely try find out if you can transfer over to the ADSL2+ technology. That would mean OPtus are providing it and it may even be significantly cheaper.

Keep digging.

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

0 Kudos