Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
david71marshall
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: AC800S home wireless multiple disconnects

This is constant problem with this modem, the Optus solution is to do a factory reset. The onscreen yellow message mobile broadband disconnected always appears but without the connect/reconnect button. Optus pushed out a firmware update about 4-6 weeks ago but this made no difference to this issue.  I find it often happens when the modem has fully charged and remains in the charger. Maybe it is battery overheating issue (which I've seen suggested as a cause).  In my experience the modem does not travel well either, it produces the same message when left on and moving the modem around. If I have to move it I turn it off and then turn it on again. I have to reset it about 4-5 times a week due to the mobile broadband disconnected  message. I can't wait until my partner's contract ends and we can buy something that works properly.

0 Kudos
david71marshall
New Contributor
New Contributor

This is constant problem with this modem, the Optus solution is to do a factory reset. The onscreen yellow message mobile broadband disconnected always appears but without the connect/reconnect button. Optus pushed out a firmware update about 4-6 weeks ago but this made no difference to this issue.  I find it often happens when the modem has fully charged and remains in the charger. Maybe it is battery overheating issue (which I've seen suggested as a cause).  In my experience the modem does not travel well either, it produces the same message when left on and moving the modem around. If I have to move it I turn it off and then turn it on again. I have to reset it about 4-5 times a week due to the mobile broadband disconnected  message. I can't wait until my partner's contract ends and we can buy something that works properly. TAKE IT BACK before they say you've had it too long.
0 Kudos
Antsa
New Contributor
New Contributor

I took mine back in the first month and cancelled the service. It would lose service in the lift in my office and need a factory reset. That, along with the 4 factory resets needed on the train from home to work.

Mind you Optus have still not refunded any charges or the modem cost, more than two months after returning it. It's impossible to resolve as billing say they have to talk to the warehouse. Australia Post say it's delivered. Billing never get back to me. Different people each time I call. Raising official complaints on the website goes to a black hole. Same via email.

I finally lodged a complaint with the TIO at the weekend as Optus are threatening to disconnect my service and are adding in $15 account charges.

Don't touch the modem if you want a reliable connection

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Thanks for the detail in your response, Antsa.

A Customer Relations representative will be in touch with you within 10 business days from the date you logged a TIO complaint. Based on what you described, I'm confident the billing issue will be resolved fairly quickly. Let us know how you go.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
0 Kudos
Rando
New Contributor
New Contributor

I understand this is an old post but mostly just replying so anyone that stumbles on it can fix it.
I got the ac800s a few days ago and say thing as OP, constant disconnects.

I found that changing it to 4G only, instead of 4G and 3G, and also changing it to 5ghz, completely fixed the issue and it hasnt disconnected a single time since the changes
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

That is really great of you Rando, thanks heaps for taking the time to post your solution to this issue ☺️ 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
0 Kudos
david71marshall
New Contributor
New Contributor

HI Ray_YC, how is that a solution? The modem is supposed to work as 3G and 4G modem and on both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. While I suspect Rando's solution will work for some, what about those users that have older equipment with 2.5 GHz wifi and/or live in 3G only areas? It still doesn't change the fact the modem does not work as it should and Optus is apparently ignoring the issue. 

0 Kudos
david71marshall
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for posting @Rando, it will be solution for some and it better than the complete lack of support Optus has for this issue.

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I'm not in technical support david71marshall but based on what you have described you are experiencing I would be contacting that team and requesting a replacement.

0 Kudos
AndyTan
New Contributor
New Contributor

Same problem here. Ac800 keep having problems no connections ,trouble shoot to Restart, factory reset now not working just 5 months old modem?really? Contacted optus customer service with replacement order made but took forever to arrive no shipment confirmation, didn’t receive the replacement modem.
Night mare..especially call centre. Worse experience ever.. shocking experience..
0 Kudos