Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
peterlongfield
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

AC800S home wireless multiple disconnects

Dear all,

I started using home wireless broadband with the AC800S a month and a half ago.

The modem got disconnected (on the "cell" side) ways too often. It displays a message (yellow notification) "Mobile broadband disconnected"

This happened first during the first couple of days - I tried restarting it a couple times which did not help. I called customer service who advised to reset it to factory defaults. This did the trick - they advised that it should not happen again.

Unfortunately, it still happens all the time, at the very least once a week, generally more than that.

Resetting it to factory default is the only way for it to reconnect 😞

Firmware is  up to date from what I can see. This is obviously not normal, and a huge annoyance. Is this a hardware fault from my modem? Should I request a replacement ? Any other clue? THX

Is it an hardware problem? Should I request a replacement? 

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Jeneral__Pain
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: AC800S home wireless multiple disconnects

As I said in your other thread, if you have to keep resetting the device via the factory process. This suggests you’ve got a bug in the way your setting it up.

i would leave it as the “default” without reconfirming it to see if the problem keeps happening.

Also these devices aren’t designed to be left on 24x7x365.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
peterlongfield
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

" This suggests you’ve got a bug in the way your setting it up."

LOL - I have a bug, but not the firmware? Is that a joke?

"Also these devices aren’t designed to be left on 24x7x365."

Well , this is not written anywhere in the documentaiton (online or paper). 

0 Kudos
AlistarS
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi @peterlongfield

We've had this come up on the forum in the past. I'm not sure whether it's the same issue you're having, but I believe the AC800S was dropping out when connected to a specific frequency band. The issue was resolved by a firmware update that went out.

In anycase, you shouldn't be required to factory reset the modem each day. You could head into your local Optus store and ask them to send the device away for assessment under warranty. The turnaround time is usually 7-10 working days. Otherewise, you could try the below: 

1) Contact our service team on either Live Chat/Facebook/Twitter

2) They'll raise a case with our Mobile Case Management team

3) We do have a network monitoring tool that'll log each session time and the number of times that service has lost connectivity with the cell tower that services you 

4) If we're seeing dropouts that aren't with in an acceptable range, they'll decide on the best of course of action. 

0 Kudos
peterlongfield
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

"ask them to send the device away for assessment under warranty. The turnaround time is usually 7-10 working days. "

I'm not really keen to have to be without any service for that long - unless they can provide a replacement during this time?

"3) We do have a network monitoring tool that'll log each session time and the number of times that service has lost connectivity with the cell tower that services you.

4) If we're seeing dropouts that aren't with in an acceptable range, they'll decide on the best of course of action.  " 

The problem is not the disconnects/dropbouts themselves. The problem is that it won't reconnect at all until it is compeltely reset to factory defaults.

0 Kudos
peterlongfield
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Things are going worse and worse.

Three disconnection today ! And each time having to reset it to factory defaults.

Wasted already a couple hours on the chat today with two optus agents who gave me non working tips (the first one advised me to check the "dial-up" settings in the modem interface??? )

FOund another person who had the same issue back in April on WHirlpool forums - but no details about any resolution.

I want to request a warranty replacement - this is obvisouly a hardware fault. What is the procedure with optus?

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi there,

This is not something that we can assist with here on the forum.

Please contact the channels mentioned earlier for further help.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
0 Kudos
Antsa
New Contributor
New Contributor

I bought one of these yersterday and today, after running a number of speedtests, I suddently got the disconnect. No amount of fiddling got it to work, so finally, under the instructions of tech support, I did the factory reset. 

The tech said 'awesome' when it fixed the problem and I linked him to this thread 🙂

If this happens again, I will definitely be taking it back for a replacement.

0 Kudos
peterlongfield
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Some updates,

1. I found out that instead of a factory reset, 9 out of 10 times now I could instead remove the battery and unplug it for a few seconds. It is faster than a reset, and mostly I don't have to re-enter my settings ! (Wifi name and passord, turning off the flashing LED, rising up the max primary wifi devices to 13 insetad of 10)...

2.  This is still super annoying though do do that 3 to 10 ttimes a day - so the other day I ended up taking it to the optus store for a replacement. a/ I took it first into doublebay optus store. The guy was super helpful ; he told me that he can't do a warranty replacement though as I need to take it to the same store than were I bought it 😞   but he replaced my SIM card suggesting it may be the culprit...

didn't work 😞 so b/ I took it to where I bought it (Sydeny Central). after queuing literally for half an hour, explaining what was up for another half hour, the tech took it in th eback room for "some tests" then came back saying that they will nto replace it under warranty - but instead thy will "try to repair it" which will take anywhere from 10 days to 4 weeks - and no, they don;t provide a replacement during this time. This is my home internet - so of course i can't really do without for so long + why woudl I  pay a monthly service while I can;t have the service I am paying for !!  I was really disappointied by this so refused and too it back home.

Surprisingly since then, the disconnects are much more rare - now 3/4 times a week instead of several times a day :D.

I don;t know what the tech did in the shop - or whether this is random ? (it was NOT a firmware update, and they didn;t reset it to factoryt eoither then)

0 Kudos
Antsa
New Contributor
New Contributor

I took mine to the store last week - got a new SIM, but same problem, so they swapped out the device. Back on the train today - 5 dropouts during the day, 3 on the train, two in the lift.

I'm taking mine back tomorrow and cancelling the service. Complete waste of time

0 Kudos