Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Contributor Consik
Contributor

Re: AC800S constantly restarting

How about we get rid of this solved nonsence from some joe blow. The latest firmware update has don't nothing to resolve the restarting issue. Optus has made it quite clear that there is nothing wrong with the device even though it's a known issue. 

My suggestion is to go to whirlpool post about this useless modem and follow the steps to lock it to bands that don't include B3 or get a refund.

Optus have had more then enough time to fix this huge issue. 

New Contributor Richard_Dobson
New Contributor

Yep, this issue most definitely is not solved. I go into to the settings every day to check if there's a new firmware available, but there's not and it keeps restarting and freezing randomly and regularly. At this point, I'm done too. I just want a refund because Optus can't provide a reliable service.

0 Kudos
Contributor krunchy
Contributor

They only listen to social media. Tweet the link to this forum post or put it on their facebook wall. Just tell them to read it. Might penetrate eventually. Useless. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor JayArrgh
Occasional Contributor

@krunchy

If they haven't done anything about it yet, it's because they don't care.

I think it naiive to think that Optus will suddenly start to care and provide a fix.

Just go back to the store, demand a refund & move on, it's not worth the frustration 🙂

0 Kudos
Contributor krunchy
Contributor

You're probably right. Cut my losses and move on. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor wlolold
Occasional Contributor

Has anyone tried Telstra’s M1 nighthawk? It’s cat 16 and costs $336 outright from Telstra but heaps of people selling theirs on gumtree for around $200-$250 most open to negotiation.

By all accounts a capable modem except it doesn’t support 2300mhz. Optus claims 2300mhz is a major part of their 4.5g network in major cities but my AC800s is always connected to 1800mhz which the M1 does support.

Telatra rep also claimed none of the post paid devices are network locked including the M1.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

@wlolold

Based on my experience of the AC800S I wouldn't risk spending money on a 2nd hand Netgear modem.

I can't speak specifically to the M1 Nighthawk, but people in the know have told me that Netgear don't have the same quality they were once known for and you're better off with a Huawei modem.

Then again, I'm pretty sure Telstra would force Netgear to release a fix for restart issue like what happens in the AC800S.

If you want to look further afield, check out www.4gltemall.com

0 Kudos
Contributor Consik
Contributor

It's a pity that it has to come to this. That we are forced to use a compeditors modem because they can't fix thier own device. The M1 dosent fit into a cradle so your stuck with it sitting there on a power cord and average wifi range. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor wlolold
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the link. This HUAWEI E5788 looks interesting but I looked on an eBay posting and there was one review saying it too restarts! Weird! Maybe they have a chipset in common:

Unlocked Huawei E5788 E5788u-96a Gigabit LTE Cat.16 Mobile WiFi Hotspot Router https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192427561611

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

@wlolold

I was considering the E5788, but I think it would be a risk getting something really high end from an overseas website. Better go for someting mid range, or maybe slightly higher if buying from overseas, and you're hopefully less likely to encounter problems.

I was considering the TP-Link M7650 and others, but I ended up getting a Galaxy Tab S4 as it was free on the $80pm 200GB MBB plan. I would have preferred something small and light, but so far the tablet suits me well.

0 Kudos