cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor milfner
New Contributor

Re: AC800S STILL constantly restarting

FYI - I have resolved my AC800S rebooting issue by removing Band 3 via telnet console (refer to curlynz - whirlpool). My AC800S was previouly rebooting 5+ times per day (while always connecting to Band 3) and has now been online for 2 days on other Bands (1, 7, 28 and 40).

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Janeypie75
Occasional Contributor

I gave up after my 4th Ac800s... returned it and got my money back. Now using their cheap $40 4g modem. Obviously not as good signal.. average 15mbps but at least its stable.  Would love to get a Cat9 or above as when it worked was getting speeds of 50mbps +. There doesnt seem to be much choice in the market. Would buy it again if optus could guarantee it wont keep restarting. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Janeypie75
Occasional Contributor

I am looking at doing the deal that you got with optus. Samsung S4 on $60month for 24months, just wondered what sort of speeds are you now getting on the S4? Is it comparable to the AC800s or do you see an improvement as its a CAT16?  I had to go to their E5573 CAT 4 after I returned the AC800s and am really looking for something a lot faster as I work from home and have it connected to my SMART TV so need something more powerful.  I cant do both at the same time.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Ressonance
Occasional Contributor

Thought I'd chime in and add my 2 cents to the whole situation, I too am experiencing "restarts" although in my case it's not so much that the AC800S is power cycling (a more traditional interpretation of the word "restart") but rather it's disconnecting and reconnecting to the data without loss in signal every 2 and a half hours (I've observed this for a couple of days now and it seems to be fairly consistent, give or take 30 seconds). What I did do though, is provide my details to the mods (I think it was DanCS) and have been contacted by the network team to try and get to the bottom of the issue. So I'd suggest many more of you do the same, also try and be as specific as possible as to what is actually happening (i.e. time of day it happens, what sort of devices are connected to it, how heavy you're using the Internet, etc). The more specific, the more Optus can try and narrow down the issue and hopefully provide a fix for us all.

Contributor krunchy
Contributor

Unfortunately I have got in touch with them (weeks ago) and was promised a follow up and nothing has come of it.

Don't expect a meaningful response. They say they are escalating it but really they are just sitting on it.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hmm well, I've been called 3x now by someone on the network team and provided any extra information I can with a follow up 2 days from now (Tuesday), so it looks like they are trying to get to the bottom of this. I must say my issue might not be the exact same as those experienced by other people here (excluding B3 made no difference in my case). Also in case anyone is interested here are some video captures of when my modem loses connection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfI7CqJtx8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h2WBdWSJp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4ugMEFTUtg

I've sent these through to the Optus network people as well.

Contributor Consik
Contributor

I can confirm after using putty to manually change the device to not use B3 I have not had a single restart. Pity I have had to sacrifice 50mbps of speed to get a stable modem as optus refuses or is unable to fix the problem. 

0 Kudos
Contributor krunchy
Contributor

Keep us posted on what happens. They have stopped bothering with me. I've been hassling them for ages and they just don't care.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

So it looks like someone from Netgear is coming over to inspect the modem tomorrow. Hopefully they'll manage to pull some meaningful logs when the device does its disconnect/reconnect thing. I have also got an AC810S (the Telstra modem) and have confirmed that at least for my issue, it doesn't seem device specific. The Netgear dude that called up theorized that it may have something to do with the firmware but he can't say for sure till he's had a look at the device.

Contributor krunchy
Contributor

That's excellent! Keep us posted. They've picked you as the one. Lucky! They're still ignoring me. 

0 Kudos