Searching...
Highlighted

A Warning to Optus - get your house in order before you release your new cable plans

[ Edited ]
wpglebs

Dear Optus

The word is that you are releasing a new set of  premium speed cable plans in the first week of November 2013,  including an unlimited data (premium speed) plan and various customisable and larger cable plans.

Don't be silly Optus. You need to get your house in order before you can even think about releasing any bigger plans. Your network does not have sufficient capacity to meet peak demand right now. Releasing bigger plans will aggravate the existing issues. 

Please act responsibly and consider what these new plans will do to the already congested network and to the service of your existing customers.

On 28 September 2013, you acknowledged down stream peak time congestion and you said:

"We're working on doubling the capacity via an upgrade to 8-channel bonding of our entire Cable network and have completed 56% already this year. I can assure you that upgrading this area is a priority and we're working really hard to have this completed ASAP. We should have further details on this in the coming month."

It took you almost a year to get 56% done. Am I right in assuming it will take you about another year to get the other 44% done? Can you confirm that you will not be releasing any bigger plans in areas already suffering from congestion and until such time as an upgrade has occured?

MOST Importantly, let me also ask you this. What difference will doubling downstream capacity make,  if  as a result of the new unlimited data (premium speed) plans the download throughput doubles? The answer of course, is no difference. If you double capcity and you double usage, we end up where we are right now.  History tells us  that when you give people more data and you give them more speed, their usage increases at a proportionate rate. 

Your sales reps continue to falsely deny the existence of ANY congestion issues and continue to incorrectly represent to customers that they can expect speeds of up to 100MB/s even during peak times. I have given you 9 transcripts from 9 different Optus Online Sales Reps to prove this. This is still happening today. And here I am getting speeds of 1 - 2 MB/s. Also, your most recent set of TV adds imply that Optus customers don't experience 'buffering'. What a remarkable assertion? It is a shame though that this could not be further from the truth. 

There is one very important elephant in the room that Optus has ignored. What about upstream congestion? Will Optus be upgrading from 1 channel bonding to 2 channels for uploads before the new plans are released? As you know, ping is affected by both upstream and downstream speed.  If you guys are releasing unlimited premium speed plans, you have to make sure you have sufficient upstream capacity to account for the additional throughput.  The problem is you already don't as it is. (see speed test below taken with 100MB/s speed pack). Please think about what will happen after you've released these unlimited plans.

Re: A Warning to Optus - get your house in order before you release your new cable plans

johnnyce

i agreed!

Re: A Warning to Optus - get your house in order before you release your new cable plans

mjp01

The word is that you are releasing a new set of  premium speed cable plans in the first week of November 2013,  including an unlimited data (premium speed) plan and various customizable and larger cable plans.

That is awesome Smiley Happy Can't come soon enough!!!

Don't be silly Optus. You need to get your house in order before you can even think about releasing any bigger plans. Your network does not have sufficient capacity to meet peak demand right now. Releasing bigger plans will aggravate the existing issues. 

Please act responsibly and consider what these new plans will do to the already congested network and to the service of your existing customers.

+1 my internet is working pretty good lately. I just hope that Optus gets it right this time. I don't want a repeat of what happened a year ago.

Your sales reps continue to falsely deny the existence of ANY congestion issues and continue to incorrectly represent to customers that they can expect speeds of up to 100MB/s even during peak times. I have given you 9 transcripts from 9 different Optus Online Sales Reps to prove this. This is still happening today. And here I am getting speeds of 1 - 2 MB/s. Also, your most recent set of TV adds imply that Optus customers don't experience 'buffering'. What a remarkable assertion? It is a shame though that this could not be further from the truth. 

In defense of the Optus Reps, the ones I have dealt with are REALLY GOOD. Give them a break mate.

[ Edited ]
wpglebs

Hi Mjp01

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It is good to see that your service experience has not been as bad as mine. Believe me, if you were consistently geting 1-2MB/s download speeds for 9 months your patience would wear thin too.

"In defense of the Optus Reps, the ones I have dealt with are REALLY GOOD. Give them a break mate."

My issue of course is not with the sales reps individually . This is not a personal attack on the staff. My issue is that Optus' Sales Team as well as Optus' marketing team are giving customers false and misleading information. This is unacceptable and must be stopped.

As recent as 4 October 2013 Optus Online Sales Representative Catherine G said:

"You can expect up to 20 MBPS speed with ADSL 2+ and Typically, Optus customers go 5x faster on Cable than on our ADSL2+ service. You can expect this during the peak hours."

Also on 4 October, Optus Online Sales Rep  Jake S Said:

"The best part with our plan is no peak and off peak hours.

The data is not divided into peak and off peak and there won't be such issues where the speed will come to a crawl during the peak hours."

On 30 September 2013 Optus Sales Rep Tim said:

"You will get high speed Internet with no peak or off peak usage. With Cable there is no congestion issue with Optus."

Customers are legally entitled to true and accurate information. That is not happening right now. Optus has not disclosed the congestion issue on its website and continues to deny the existence of ANY congestion when it is actually aware that there is a serious and longstanding congestion issue.  It is unfair that customers are being given false information. To see some of the full transcripts, refer to my threat titled "Cable Broadband Congestion - Riverwood Exchange" 

mjp01

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It is good to see that your service experience has not been as bad as mine. Believe me, if you were consistently getting 1-2MB/s download speeds for 9 months your patience would wear thin too.

Yeah I totally agree Smiley Happy

"In defense of the Optus Reps, the ones I have dealt with are REALLY GOOD. Give them a break mate."

My issue of course is not with the sales reps individually . This is not a personal attack on the staff. My issue is that Optus' Sales Team as well as Optus' marketing team are giving customers false and misleading information. This is unacceptable and must be stopped.

Sorry, I totally misunderstood you Smiley Embarassed

Customers are legally entitled to true and accurate information. That is not happening right now. Optus has not disclosed the congestion issue on its website and continues to deny the existence of ANY congestion when it is actually aware that there is a serious and longstanding congestion issue.  It is unfair that customers are being given false information. To see some of the full transcripts, refer to my threat titled "Cable Broadband Congestion - Riverwood Exchange" 

I totally agree with you! It is deceptive for some people, however Optus allows you to break your contract and leave if you are on a congested exchange. I think this is your best option. Or you can wait until there is upgrades scheduled for your exchange.

Ryan has just said that upgrades to that exchange will be between November and December.

DazaG

The connection has timed out

The server at www.optus.com.au is taking too long to respond.

Pretty much says it all.

wpglebs

"however Optus allows you to break your contract and leave if you are on a congested exchange. I think this is your best option"

Shouldn't have to get to that point. I never enter into contracts I can't honour. I expect the same from my service providers. If you agree to  be bound by something, you need to honour that agreement.

NickM
I had made my queries and complaints in various forums. Reality is Optus are working behind the scenes on proposed upgrades. Naturally I terminated my business as my internet was not usable and moved to another provider. That said I kept my cable account incase something occurs. I had a phone call from Ryan and we had a open and frank discussion about the matter. Cut a long story short I was unfortunately teased by the Optus rep as to what is lined up and all I can say is yes they are listening and monitor all feedback and incl other forums e.g. Whirlpool. Now I am not defending Optus nor attacking in this post. They have clearly listened and obviously are losing money on releasing clients from contracts and credits and are learning the hard way. Now not withstanding that, I had a really good deal regarding my broadband service and priveliged to have had that opportunity with the landline. But all I can say is something is on its way and being teased which kind of gives me the sheets by you optus reps coz I don't like being kept in suspense.

End of rant. Ryan make that announcement please :-)
Views expressed herein are of my own. I have no affiliation with Optus nor am I an optus rep or an Optus apologist. My views on these forums are straight up and honest from my personal experiences dealing with Optus in all facets.

Trust me I keep it real.

NickM
Following the above piece.

see this: https://community.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Fixed-Cable-Network-Upgrades/m-p/61291#U61291

I am now officially going to do cartwheels and open up my business for renegotiation and re contract should all go to plan.
Views expressed herein are of my own. I have no affiliation with Optus nor am I an optus rep or an Optus apologist. My views on these forums are straight up and honest from my personal experiences dealing with Optus in all facets.

Trust me I keep it real.

Roger398

I have read and agree with most of the complaints made above, I was trapped into an Optus account by an ill-informed sales rep and my greed. When challenged about the misinformation I was given I was also told I could change to another provider. Great except it would cost me more money and time to change. I don't have the funds to push the legal aspect and their false advertising so I am stuck where I am, with slow internet speeds. I downloaded the Windows 8.1 update should take less then 2hr to download, it took over 6hrs!! I don't blame Optus, I blame the politicians that have made such a rip off of our Telecommunications industry. We are getting what we asked for, an industry more aimed at PROFIT then service. 

Rog
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
80 Kudos
77 Kudos
71 Kudos
40 Kudos
30 Kudos