Searching...
Highlighted

5G Home Broadband FAQs

[ Edited ]
Optus

What is 5G?

5G refers to the next generation of mobile networking. It includes new technologies and standards that have the potential to greatly increase data speeds, responsiveness (lower latency) and massive connectivity of wireless networks. As 5G evolves, standards are being progressively adopted by international bodies along with network and handset manufacturers worldwide.

What are the benefits of 5G?

Once our 5G network is fully developed and deployed, it has the potential to deliver: 

• High capacity of bandwidth (high speeds, high data volumes) 
  • Low latency (mission critical, fast response) 
  • Mass/machine connectivity (low data volume, many applications)
  • High availability (reliable, resilient)

Optus is working closely with customers to understand how 5G services can improve their lifestyle and offer solutions to their problems.

When and where will 5G be available?

Optus 5G will be progressively rolled out in limited areas of selected suburbs. When it is available, to access the Optus 5G network you will need a compatible device and Optus plan. Outside of 5G coverage areas, compatible devices will switch to the Optus 4G or 3G Network.

How will 5G differ from 4G?

When fully deployed, 5G has the potential to deliver ultra-low latency, significantly increased throughput per connection and the ability to connect to one hundred times more devices per square kilometre as networks evolve. 5G will not completely replace 4G; the two networks will work together for the foreseeable future.

Will 5G mean that the 3G network is turned off?

As we progress the roll out of 5G services, we will continue to assess our spectrum holdings, the most efficient and appropriate ways of enabling technology services, and will proactively let customers know of any decision that involves our 3G network.

What do the experts say about 5G health risks?

There’s been extensive research into 5G, wireless network technology and radio frequency exposures and their possible effects on health.  As a result, the World Health Organization (WHO) and its agency the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), have concluded:  “Despite extensive research, to date there is no evidence to conclude that exposure to low level electromagnetic fields is harmful to human health.”

The Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) have extensively researched and set national limits on exposure levels of our 5G networks:  "At exposure levels below the limits set within the ARPANSA safety standard, it is the assessment of ARPANSA and international organisations such as the (WHO) and the International Commission on Non-Ionising Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) that there is no established scientific evidence to support any adverse health effects from very low RF EME exposures to populations or individuals.”

What speeds will I be able to get on Optus 5G Home Broadband?

Like any home broadband, the speeds of 5G Home Broadband are dependent on several factors including congestion, location of the 5G modem in your house and proximity to an Optus 5G tower. As this new technology develops and expands, users can expect continued improvements in speeds.

We’re confident you’ll be happy with Optus Home Broadband 5G speeds and offer our customers the 50Mbps Satisfaction Guarantee.

What’s involved in setting up the modem myself?

First unpack the modem and be sure to remove the protective plastic film.  Then connect the power and switch on. The 5G modem will search for a signal and use green, yellow and red lights to indicate where it should be placed. You may need to try different locations in your home to get a good 5G signal. First unpack the modem and be sure to remove the protective plastic film.  Then connect the power and switch on. The 5G modem will search for a signal and use green, yellow and red lights to indicate where it should be placed. You may need to try different locations in your home to get a good 5G signal.

What happens if I do a serviceability check and Optus confirms 5G is not available at my address?

If your address is not 5G-serviceable you can lodge your expression of interest and we will notify you if 5G becomes available at your address in the future.

What happens if I need to move to a new house after I’ve started my 5G Home Broadband service?

You will need to contact Optus to ensure that your new service address is eligible for 5G Home Broadband. If eligible, you may be able to continue using your 5G Home Broadband service at your new service address. 

If you are moving to an area where 5G Home Broadband is not currently available, Optus will endeavour to provide available services within the new area and will cease providing the existing 5G Home Broadband service. If the you choose not to proceed with any home internet service with Optus, then you may need to pay a cancellation fee and will need to return any Optus supplied 5G devices in good working order otherwise a non-return fee may also apply.

Is Optus 5G Home Broadband available to people living in apartments?

Yes, however this depends on the specific location within the apartment and if the building is in a serviceable 5G area.

Where can I check for coverage updates?

At Optus we’re committed to the continual expansion of our 5G network. Visit the Optus 5G page for the latest rollout information on 5G.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
62 Kudos
42 Kudos
32 Kudos
32 Kudos
16 Kudos