Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
psymon
New Contributor
New Contributor

4g latency suddenly long

Hi Crowd,

For the last year I've had a 50gb 4g data sim in my home modem and it has worked great.

But in the last week the latency(ping) has jumped from 25-75ms to 320-450ms, which is catastrophic in the gaming world. My mate up the road with the same modem and same plan has the same identical issue.

What could have caused this and more importantly, how do I fix it.

Thanks people.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: 4g latency suddenly long

Up the road on the same cell tower, with the same fault?

You have to wait for the Optus fairies to fix it. Pity you aren't sure enough about the service to buy the new 200GB plan.

0 Kudos
Shauna
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @psymon - Thanks for reaching out. Can you please confirm your postcode and suburb? Sounds like there may be a fault of some sort impacting the area. FYI our service status page will list any known outages 🙂 You can also register your number for updates on any outages related to you.  

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
psymon
New Contributor
New Contributor

My postcode is 6169, it is the same on 4g direct from my phone and through the modem. I thought they operated on different wave lengths through different towers, but I guess not.

0 Kudos
Shauna
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Thanks @psymon. What's the name of your suburb? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
psymon
New Contributor
New Contributor

My suburb is Warnbro, Im not far from Warnbro fair, where i think the nearest tower is.

Thanks Shauna.

0 Kudos
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

In the modem setting somewhere, you will be able to constrain it to 3G/WCDMA/UMTS. See if that is working better

0 Kudos
Top Contributors