Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor Wazz99
New Contributor

4G/5G Modem w Mesh, Ext Antennas

I want to sign up for Optus 4G Broadband but I don't want the Huawei B818 Modem as it doesn't have Wi-Fi mesh. We have a long house and need mesh, so if I get the B818 then I need to buy another mesh system which is a waste of money and resources. Also 4G reception inside the house is weak but with an external antenna it is full strength.

Optus in store staff don't event know what Wi-Fi mesh is and the phone and chat staff aren't great either.

Basically, I either want the Optus 5G Nokia Modem/Router which has mesh and is future proof for when 5G finally comes to my area.

Otherwise, I want to buy a cat6 4G modem only and then connect it to a mesh router system.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a great 4G or 5G modem that doesn't cost too much money? I'm lost and Optus staff aren't helpful.
Tags (4)
4 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: 4G/5G Modem w Mesh, Ext Antennas

The Optus Wireless Broadband plans are locked to a set of devices (list is on yescrowd).

And the Optus 5g Home service is locked to the single Nokia Fastmile router - zero exceptions to that limitation.

You can connect another router to the B818 to supply wifi if you wish.

On a side note - the Nokia 5g Fastmile device has: Mesh topology with Nokia WiFi Beacon 3s

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Wazz99
New Contributor

Yes I know. That's why I want the 5G Nokia for my 4G plan.

Why is Optus locking the devices to plans? It's very annoying especially when the 4G Huawei B818 is average.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Huawei B818 is hardly average, its a Cat19 LTE device.
And at $192 outright its a very good price point.

Nokia 5g Fastmile is around ~$1600 if you can find one thats actually for sale.

Have to ask Optus why they lock to plans, not the first isp to do so. I remember my bigpond wireless service in 2006 which was locked to one of their 2 devices.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Wazz99
New Contributor

Maybe average was a little over done haha

Alright seems this is the way that it is going to be and I have to suck it up and deal with no mesh.
0 Kudos