cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

3rd party modem

Hi,

I'd like to use a 3rd party modem (tp-link ArcherVR2800) on my Optus NBN (FTTN).

I have searched the forums over a few days and found many threads about bridging so as to keep the voip phone line. However I am not concerned about the phone I just want to know if I can use the above modem on its own instead of the Optus supplied Sagemcom or am I wasting my time trying? I'm getting the impression that Optus do not allow the use of 3rd party modems.

During setup for the tp-link I choose Optus ADSL, put in my username {username}@optus.net.com.au and password. Attempts to connect but fails.

tp-link support suggested that that the IP should be dynamic not PPPoE but this cannot be changed if I choose Optus as the ISP.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advence.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: 3rd party modem

Thanks , I was sure it was compliant.

I see this in the Whirlpool link you provided

For Optus

IPoE (DHCP)
No login required
First connection must be done with Optus supplied modem
After that, can switch to BYO modem but MUST copy Optus Modem VDSL MAC Address to your modem MAC – Most modems support this feature. (Certainly the el-cheapo TP-Link TD-W9970 does)

Not sure what all that means. Not very tech savvy but I'll give it a go tomorrow. The tp-link modem won't stay powered on at the moment. As though it is overheated, though I can't see how. It is sitting on a desk in the open with a ceiling fan on.

Thanks .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

OK, didn't know that. The MAC address is a unique hardware name for each bit of network equipment. It's a bit fudgy that you can go around changing it, but I suppose any hacker could do it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sounds a bit complicated for me.

Other ISPs let you use your own modem as far as I can tell and just give you the settings. Why is Optus so difficult I wonder.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

If you have a static IP address, then it's bound to the MAC address, every time the modem boots.

Not sure if you have static IP though

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

No, you have to request a static IP.

When the tp-link tech help looked at the settings of my Sagemcom modem I assume this is why she suggested it should be set to dynamic not PPPoE but that can't be done if I select Optus in the setup menu but it can if I select other but then I don't have all the other settings required.

I must admit this is all a bit over my head. I thought it would be as simple as plugging it in and putting my optus username and password in during setup.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Holy thread revival. How did you go with this. I bought the archer vr 2800 today. had some issues at first setting up as the ISP list only have adsl Optus. selected other went PPPOE. bang nothing. tried back tracking but couldn't change ISP selections. Changed to Dynamic and Bang on cue let there be net, he saw it and it was good.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

If I remember, I couldn't change it to dynamic. I returned to the store and exchanged modem for a router and went with that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rabbit,

I would also like to use a 3rd party Modem/Router (Billion Bi Pac 8700VAX with VoIP), but Optus does not allow. I believe their VoIP service is encrypted, and cannot be accessed to perform any settings. I dislike having to bridge to a router to use a private VoIP service.

The Sagemcom Gateway F@ST 3864 supplied has very bad reviews on Product Review. Also many issues on Yes Crowd thread. The WiFi range is bad.

Presently, I'm with Optus on ADSL2+ with my own Billion modem/router without any issues. Now with NBN it has the changes and heaps of issues. Looking at another RSP, perhaps Aussie Broadband which is more expensive.

0 Kudos