Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor rj326
New Contributor

30 mbit by day, 2mbit late night through to morning

Hello, 

I have been getting transitions into very slow speeds on my cable internet (Yeronga QLD).  Late at night it will revert to 1.5 mbit or there abouts from the oz broadband speed test.  Nothing from twitch or youtube will hold a connection and this continues throughout the night (which is when I like to steam twitch).

I finally had a tech support fellow out, just then.

He came in, did a ookla speed test on his ipad connected to my wifi and it comes up as 30 mbit immediately on his ipad.

I pull out my phone, say, ok, I do an ozbroadband speed test.. 2 mbit.

So of course, I am exasperated by that and there's the question of whether my device is the problem – well, it's all devices on the network I point out.

He asks me to use the ookla speedtest.. yep 30 mbit on my phone too.

I say okay, change the server on the ookla speed test from optus (it autoselects optus, which is a partial test of integrity because if optus have problems, they won't show it when connecting to optus).

I change mine to telstra brisbane.. 2 mbit

I change it to ANY server.. under 2mbit.

So I say to him.. err obviously there's an issue here and he clouds over (this is now completely over his head, by the sounds of it) and says well optus can't be responsible for outside connections. He says if you call up tech support and say your speed test to anywhere other than optus is broke, they'll say "why are you changing it from optus".  Good one, mate. 

Then ten minutes later, it's fine and back up to 30 mbit. It's as if around night – midnight, something is going on and the speed is down to 1.5 mbit.

The very same thing happened yesterday.  Terrible all night through morning and then lifted around this time.

I have no idea what to do about this because clearly there is something wrong but it's sort of lost in the ether of conjecture.

Whilst I'm getting 2mbit, I have nothing connected to the router.  I disconnected all fixed network leads last night to alleviate it and no help.  There were only two phones connected to the wifi.

Anybody have any ideas what the hell is happening?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: 30 mbit by day, 2mbit late night through to morning

Often there can be problems on international links, when sea cables get eaten by gremlins. It could be some maintenance thing they are doing, and figure nobody uses the internet after midnight.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its weird.

First thing is to do wired tests only.

Turn off the wifi on the modem (fully disable it - there's also a possible fault where enabling wifi causes issues full stop).

Try the tests as you have but only with a wired connection

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor rj326
New Contributor

Thanks for the replies:

RE: doing a wired test.  My previous tests were done through wired tests, so I do not think it is a problem.  I took the wired devices out because they're the most likely to be possibly eating speed (thought that would not explain why the speed test to optus was working).  I will certainly investigate if it happens again tonight, though.

RE: international gremlins - agreed - however we're talking about a speedtest to optus being 30 mbit and a speed test to telstra brisbane and other brisbane servers (where I am) being 2 mbit.  I'm used to the international stuff but this is a step up in confusion.

Also will point out that the technician replaced my modem with a new one, which also had this problem of 2mbit, shrugged his shoulders and off he went.  Can't blame the guy but speed testing just to optus doesn't prove everything.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Agreed, would still suggest running tests again with wifi diabled.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Daninoz
New Contributor

Peter, I get that you're a respected contributor or whatever but suggesting that the wifi being active on the modem is potentially an issue with the night time congestion issues outlined by the OP? Come on... are you just stabbing in the dark over there?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor rj326
New Contributor

Thanks for that response mate - and ordinarily, I'd probably agree at something that seems so unlikely - but the issue is so weird, I think it warrants doing the due dilligence on all quarters and I took Peter's response in that spirit (when normally, it might annoy me if I were talking to tech support).  If it happens tonight, I'll be on it.  I can tell you that my internet dropped out today and did not come back.  We had to reset the NEW modem 😕

Since then, it's been fine - but it's early and we've generally only had this issue approaching midnight.  

I mean, logic dictates if I can speedtest on optus and get 30mbit and get 2mbit to any other server - it would dictate that it's outside my setup, but it's a big shrug of the shoulders at the moment.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its definitely a stab in the dark. I've seen a few posts where disabling wifi "fixed" the lan line connection (in quotes as its not really a fix) 

I agree with you that the current information doesn't suggest an obvious cause, hence @Daninoz bewilderment. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors