cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor ltpAus
Occasional Contributor

20 year customer just told by Optus to cancel my account and go elsewhere!!!

I am absolutely gobsmacked after 2 conversations on the phone (not to someone in Aus) and a 'live chat' - so I now have it in print...

You  11:06 AM
So you are telling me to leave optus?

You  11:07 AM
Hello?

Sterick R  11:07 AM
yes, because the technical team cannot mention the time frame for the resolution 

Any suggestions for broadband cable internet service providers?  Seems I need to find one soon 😞
(Using my Telstra phone internet to post this)
9 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: 20 year customer just told by Optus to cancel my account and go elsewhere!!!

Without knowing what the conversation was about its a bit hard to comment. If its a congestion issue that they cant give you a time frame on then you would probably be best to take the their advice and find another isp.

0 Kudos
New Contributor shultz
New Contributor

Re: 20 year customer just told by Optus to cancel my account and go elsewhere!!!

This sounds like the best advice you're going to get from Optus.

Just remember that you're not even speaking to Optus, but a third party contractor overseas. I am also about to move to another ISP due to my poor Optus home wifi service. (Constant droppouts and very slow in the evening). It's been great for over a year, but the last month has been a nightmare.

I had tell these jokers overseas exactly what home wifi is, after he asked me what the reception was like in another location. I said it's a mains powered modem (not batteries) which sits on a desk in my home, it never moves and uses internet signals from nearby mobile phone towers. 1 feet of ethernet cable connects it with my desktop PC. This was apparently news to the so called 'tech support'. So there's an update right there to the 'idiot checklist' these guys use.

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Optus doesn't care anyway, they are DUMPING the cable system, I am losing mine and the phone as of the 1st of November this year, great way to treat their customers of 20 years.

Curmudgeon
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor jul-s
Occasional Contributor

This is the standard OPTUS give to all their customers. My NBN has at best got 8/1 on a 25/5 plan so they gave me a free 100/50, I don't know why because they can't even provide 25/5 but still take my money every month. Have had 3 modems and 2 weeks of no service but nothing changes with optus so I have registered with the ACCC to moitor my nbn speeds and maybe they will force optus to fix these problems or at least make them tell the truth !!!

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes, painfully obvious that they don't care unfortunately.

Why are they dumping their cable customers?

Is this because of the NBN?  It is currently being installed in our area, however I have heard that there have been some major issues with it.  Might try to find someone who has actually had it connected.

I understand that you still need a service provider... who to choose? 😞

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to reply - and for the chuckles! 

I find I do need to keep my sense of humour in all this... it really is incredible in this day & age to get such a response... particularly when I googled how to find somewhere to lodge a complaint and came across this article: If we haven't met your expectations, let us fix it posted here in June this year.

Ironically, it was that link that I used to:

1. Find the 'dedicated Care team' member who told me to leave optus

2. Found these forums here 🙂

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hello, 

It actually isn't a congestion issue.  I was told by tech support that "they are doing work on the server and we don't know when it will be finished".  

I can understand this - and felt that it was the most honest answer I received.  

So I asked to get a refund as I am not only paying for standard cable internet, but I pay an extra $20pm for 'super fast'.  I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a refund at least on the super fast, and good customer service would provide a refund on part of the 'standard' charges - as it is often unusable.  However this was the $30 refund they offered me to stay - which doesn't even cover 2 months of the 'super-fast' charges.

I assume that the $60 offered if I leave, is to cover the 'superfast' charges I have incurred in the last 3 months that the issue has been occuring.

*sigh*

I really started out being very reasonable and understanding.

These OS based call centre people are really not good for my mental health! 😉

0 Kudos
New Contributor zaksteedman
New Contributor

Pendaws,

Is this because they NBN is being activated in your area? Surely there is more to this story!

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hey!  I just replied to this thread and my comment was deleted!!!  What gives here?

0 Kudos