cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Rich1234
New Contributor

$2 Non-Direct Debit Fee

Question to Optus: Regarding the $2 charge for non-direct debit payment on my $100 per month Broadband service.... can you tell me what service I am receiving, or what costs you are recovering for this fee.

If the fee is for cost recover, can you tell me what additional costs you incur with a manual funds transfer, that you do not incur with direct debit.

Personally, I think corporate organisations have lost their way in charging customers for the previlege of paying their bill.

18 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: $2 Non-Direct Debit Fee

$2 is for paper postage, which you can turn off by going into the bill details.

Look for PAY BILL - [View Details]

Then look under your address, and turn off paper billing.

0.24 is for non-direct debit, which is reasonable.

New Contributor Rich1234
New Contributor

No that's incorrect. On my latest bill I have these fees...

Non-Direct Debit Fee - $2.00

Paper Invoice Fee - $2.00

I realise I can avoid the Paper Invoice fee by receiving it electronically. But to have a $2 fee for not having direct-debit setup is unreasonable, and I can't see how it is justified.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I don't seem to be being hit with this charge.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Maybe I'm going to get it next month because I turned off paper bills this month. Are you getting both?

0 Kudos
New Contributor Rich1234
New Contributor

Yes $4 account fees. $2 for paper bills, and $2 for non direct debit. And if I pay with a credit or dedit card another 0.385% on top of that.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

At least you can get rid of one of them. The only solution I've seen for getting rid of the other, is to give them an expiring credit card to debit off. That worked, circa 2012.

I've asked this question somewhere else. I don't think they are consistent about the charge. I trust your account is quite new, seeing as you are just complaining about it.

0 Kudos
Contributor Barfly
Contributor

I don't see what your problem is.  These are all multinational conglomerates that are asking for open access to your bank account.  We all know these people are completely trustworthy and never make mistakes.  And with the amazing level of customer service Optus offer I don't see what could possibly go wrong!!

I have queried this in the past and the "official" response I got was that manual payments incur higher processing and labor costs.

I would contend that this argument is not valid.  Here's why ....

If my plan costs $150/mth and I pay $75 per fortnight off my Optus account without a direct debit in place I incur a charge of $2/mth.

BUT

If I set up a direct debit and still pay that same $75 per fortnight off my optus account I do not incur that $2 charge even though Optus are still processing the exact same transactions and my direct debit never actually debits anything.

All I did was go to NAB and open a basic transaction accout (no bank fees ever!) with a balance of $1. 

That account simply sits there with a balance of $1.  No transactions ever go through it.

Then I set up a direct debit with Optus and pointed it to that account.

Now I just keep making my part payments (according to what works for me and not Optus) and I never get charged that $2 a month any more.

They can't have a "computer glitch" and overcharge me, or rob me blind because there is no money for them to take.

I think its a genius solution!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
What do I know? I'm just a paying customer.
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The NAB account can still go negative, if the debit bounces ?

0 Kudos
Contributor Barfly
Contributor

Nope.  Account cannot be overdrawn, and if the debit bounces there are still no bank fees.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
What do I know? I'm just a paying customer.