Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

100mbps cable gets 15mbps using Speedtest to Optus servers

Lately, running Speedtest on my 100mbps cable connection is only getting about 15mbps when the Speedtest app chooses the Optus (and most other) servers. If I force it to a Telstra server, it shoots up to 60-70. Historically, I've always got pretty close to 100 using Speedtest. What could cause this problem? I do think downloads generally are much slower than they used to be, for example when downloading from Apple. But it confuses me that Speedtest to Telstra servers seems much better (albeit not as fast as it should be).

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: 100mbps cable gets 15mbps using Speedtest to Optus servers

That is a bit strange. What does the Google speed test report?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hey @sddawson,

That's definitely unusual. 

Have you spoken with our 24/7 Tech team to have this looked further into to see what might be causing this?

Additional troubleshooting can be found here, and is recommended before reaching out to them as it may resolve the issue. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I had actually got on to support (via chat). I had already turned the modem off and disconnected the cable, to no effect, but support asked me to factory reset the modem. Surprisingly, this seems to have worked! I still can't figure out why Speedtest to Telstra was different to Speedtest to Optus before though. Anyway, I will continue to monitor the situation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks for the update @sddawson, glad to hear it's now working. 

That is strange, were they able to shed any light on this?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

None at all - they went straight into reset modem mode!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks @sddawson, I'll pass feedback on about this.

0 Kudos