cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor dfarrugia
New Contributor

100 Mbps Broadband spped is a joke only getting 13Mbps

Hi,  just called Optus about my poor 100Mbps broadband speed. I am getting download speeds between 6Mbps to 13 Mbps. Even though I am paying for 100Mbps Optus is only supplying speeds of a 20Mbps plan. Rang Optus and was told that there were upgrades happening and that I would have to put up with these poor speed for upto 12 months of my contract. When I asked for a more definate time line the call centre staff informed me it was too hard to determine. As I work in the IT industry I find this highly improbable as there would have been set a complete timeline for upgrades and target dates for each section of the upgrades. I have already lodged a complaint with the Federal Communications Ombudsman and will lodge a complaint with Fair trading as they are in breach of the contracted speed that they have agreed to supply. 12 months is not a reasonable time frame in the contract to deliver speeds that are not acceptable.

I would recommend more people go to Fair Trading if they are having problems with speed as this may be in violation of the Australian Consumer Law. NSW Fair Trading and the equivalent in each state will have more power than the ombudsman as well.

15 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: 100 Mbps Broadband spped is a joke only getting 13Mbps

Are you of FTTN? NBN? Optus Cable?

Currently the NBN is being rolled out. Optus has no direct control over when the NBN does stuff. Optus cable is also being decomissioned (junked) as the NBN rolls out. Currently its a transition phase and its going to take a few years for it to settle down.

The ombudsman can't force Optus to give you the speeds contracted (its just not there to give). They can provide help with exiting your contract if you want. First thing is to stop paying for the 100Mbps speeds. Request something closer to what you are actually getting. Optus tend to put customers on a $0 100Mbps speed pack in this situation (if you're not yet on the NBN) which basically means they'll give you the best speed they can.

Optus will also generally let you exit your contract if they can't provide the speeds contracted for. Less so if you are on old tech, more so though if you are on the NBN and want to go elsewhere.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

They're definitely not the best results @dfarrugia. Am I able to confirm if this is something that you've raised with our tech guys on 131344 so that it can be investigated?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor dfarrugia
New Contributor

Hi,

Currently on Optus cable broadband. NBN is not coming to my area for about 2 years. Safe liberal seat in the bible belt(sux). I am paying for speeds of up to 100Mbps. I have not called on the tech line and when asked to get transfered, the typical respnse as is with all call centres now is to flatly refuse and then just ignore you. I have gone to the ombudsman but I will be going to Fair Traiding as this is a contracted speed it will fall under Australian Consumer Law, and should be recognised as unacceptable service.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You could take it to the Supreme court if you want, but really all you probably need to do is ask to end the contract? 

I'm all for fighting for our rights, but it seems a bit churlish when you're already being given them? The contract says get X for Y. If you don't get X then you don't have to pay Y. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Hey @dfarrugia, can you please send me a PM with your full name, DOB and account number so that we can take a look into your options?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor ZiggyW
Occasional Contributor

Having the same problems, happens to coincide with 3rd party info sharing.

Last speed test results:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6486915435

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator

Hey @ZiggyW, are you on Cable or NBN?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor ZiggyW
Occasional Contributor

Cable

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator

Is that with the standard 30/2 speed profile or 100/2, @ZiggyW?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors