Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

10 to 15mbps on a 50 plan

We are paying for 50mbps and only getting 10 to 15mbps. I rang last week but not much luck, we turn everything off and did some tests. Did not work. Now my 3 kids are home from school, now we need faster internet for them to carry on with school work. Could you send some one out to have a look or try to increase our speed to see if we can get closer to 50mbps.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: 10 to 15mbps on a 50 plan

As more and more people are staying home, the demand NBN network has significant increased. Saying that, speedtest for me has dropped about 10%, the performance feels like a drop in 50%. It is still usable and NBNco claims that the network is holding up.

How are you measuring the speed? has the speed dropped recently or you always getting 10-15Mbps?

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for the reply, Sorry i dident back sooner.  I know we are far from the node we was getting 24mbps last year and I have rang many time complaining about paying for 50 and not getting it. checked the speed in the modem and the web page speedtest.net

Modem is showing 

Downstream 17145     Upstream 660

Speedtest

Ping 16    Download 13.51     Upload .045

Thanks For the reply.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

With NBN, it is not too bad with the distance from the node unlike the ADSL days. Anyhow, worth log a job with Optus via the MyOptus App to start the troubleshooting. At the current status, there will be a long wait. Since you were able to get 24Mbps before and now drop to 10-15 Mbps sounds right with the extra load. I used to get 94 now getting around 82.

While you wait, it is worth power off your modem and then back on to see if you can get a better connection. Do a speed test with only one device on the network. Find out if there is any interference or other devices that sucking up the bandwidth. Try a different network cable or port.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank Again, for the past 4 day i have been changing my router and cables. Trying different phone lines and ports in my house. After all that there was no different in speed. I did find out we are 550m from the node, took abit to find it. After all that i think im going to wait for 5G. I dont think im going to get a price drop from optus for being on 15mbps but i cant call them to ask.

But thank you for all your help..

0 Kudos