Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

0.5 Mbps cable internet speed

I have raised this internet speed issue April last year and am still experiencing the incredible dial up modem speed from a cable advertised for 30Mbps. 

Optus' complaint email address in the complaint handling policy is wrong so the only way I can contact them is either telephone or a written letter to their PO. It's bloody 21st century and the only writen communication method available is a letter to Optus' PO box. Really? Are you serious? 

Why am I constantly getting 0.5Mbps? In fact, I am not even connected to Wifi because can't even browse properly. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: 0.5 Mbps cable internet speed

Are you using their Sagemcom F@ST 3864 WiFi modem.??? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Since the issue has been ongoing for over 16 months now, it might be worth writting that letter?

All companies take written communications more seriously (as they carry more leagal weight). You should get a complaint number and a reply pretty promptly and hopefully someone should take an active interest in resolving the issue. But in between that a phone call or live chat are alwasy options.

FWIW constant 0.5Mbps over Optus cable means something is actually broken in your connection to the internet - i.e. it should be fixable.

When is the NBN due to arrive in your area?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I get 0.6 to 2.8 Mbps and I am on the NBN! Optus are impossible to contact and when I try to get help- they make me go through the same useless steps, re- set the modem and then finally told me it is network congestion. I complained to ombudsman who took my complaint seriously and gave them two weeks to respond. When I contacted Optus previously twice, they said they’d contract me within 48 hours and never did.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Those speeds are well below acceptable standards on the NBN. Are you on FTTN? 

Are you looking to simply exit your contract without penalty (easy) or trying to fix the underlying issue (less easy)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks Peter. My concern is whether Telstra has better capacity in my area? I have a complaint lodged with ombudsman and have been told by Optus that it has been escalated and to wait for 48 hours for action. Honestly, I have no faith they will take action because it is due to their lack of investment. I had great service for six weeks- then as more neighbors  signed on- awful!!! For six months now.

so I think canceling my contract will be my only option- and hoping Telstra will be better. How do I do that?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Telstra will have neigher more or less capacity than Optus on the NBN.

Both (all) Telcos now essentially rent access to the wires between your house and the internet (So every Telco is using the same infrastructure). That said, if you were experiencing ok speeds but they slowed down in peak hour (6pm to 11pm) then a discussion about which ISP might be needed. But when you're simply experiencing all round really bad speed that is an issue for the NBN to fix. The NBN is legally required to ensure you can hit 12Mbps.

You can't talk to the NBN directly though. Optus is your go between and so you make a complaint to Optus and Optus will sort the NBN to send out a tech and see what is wrong. The good news is that with speeds like that it is almost certainly a specific fault that they should be able to find and fix pretty easily.

It sounds like you are finally getting somewhere. At the very least you should be told we don't know what is wrong but still investigating. Hopefully though you'll get a better response. 

If you've had six months of poor speeds then you should be able to contact Optus and simply request you be released from your contract (not stop your service just cancel the contract). You may need to talk to "retentions department" but if you explain the speed performance Optus will usually be ok to do that. Once confirmed you can just ring any Telco you want and say you want to join their NBN. The great thing about the NBN is changing providers once you are on it is just one phone call and you're done. No appointments etc.

That said, your issue appears to be with an NBN fault, so changing providers at this stage is unlikely to fix anything. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS You haven't said if you are on FTTN? Type your address in to the NBN address checker (google it)

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for your thorough, knowledgeable and helpful replies. I will post what response I get from Optus and NBN.

0 Kudos