The Optus Internet Assistance Kit allows you to read the news, check the weather and catch-up on important emails while you wait for your home internet to be fixed.
The kit contains a Mobile Broadband Wi-Fi modem that connects to the Optus 4G network. You have 50GB of data that can be used for email and general browsing. As it is a Wi-Fi modem, you can connect multiple devices wirelessly.
If you also have an Optus Sport subscription, you can connect your mobile device via Wi-Fi to the modem and Optus Sport via the app on your mobile device.
Your 50GB allowance also comes with an expiry of 28 days and has a battery life of 6 hours. It can also be used as a Wi-Fi extender to connect to Wi-Fi hotspots in places like airports or cafes to help save mobile data usage. Once the Wi-Fi extender is switched on, 9 Wi-Fi enabled devices can be connected to the modem at any one time
How do I set-up the Optus Internet Assistance Kit?
To set up your kit and connect to the internet, you will need to:
- Pop open the back cover on your device and place your SIM Card into the slot on the modem (make sure it is facing the right way)
- Insert the battery then before you replace the back cover, write down both the Wireless Network Connection Name (SSID) and the Security Key (WiFi Key) that are on the inside of the back cover.
- Charge the battery using the USB cable supplied (it will take 12 hours to charge fully but you can start using the modem while it is charging.
- Turn on and connect the modem to your device (either by USB or Wi-Fi) - if you’re connecting via WiFi, you’ll need to use the SSID and WiFi Key you wrote down earlier.
- Activate the SIM card by going to optus.com.au/activate and then restart your device.
- Open a browser window and head to the settings menu by typing ‘http://192.168.8.1’ into the address field and hitting Enter.
- Click Login in the top right-hand corner of the page then enter your Username and password and click Login again (the default username and password is ‘admin’)
- Change your password to a more secure one.
- Select Update from the menu bar at the top and check for software updates (once your SIM Card is activated)
Please note: you will need ID (either your passport, driver’s license or Medicare card) or your credit card to complete the activation process. This will usually happen within 15 minutes. You can check here for the latest updates on your device: http://www.optus.com.au/modemupdates
Once you’ve set up your Internet Assistance Kit, you can check your data usage, by logging in to My Account – optus.com.au/myaccount
How do I add additional data to the device?
Your data is used in 1KB increments and includes both uploads and downloads.
You can “top-up” your device with more data by heading to www.optus.com.au/recharge
You can also recharge directly from your bank, at a participating 7-Eleven store or set-up Auto Recharge.
Please note: You can recharge to a maximum of 50GB on your service. You will forfeit any data you recharge over this 50GB limit.
What do I do with the kit once my home internet is working?
The Optus Internet Assistance Kit is yours to keep. Use it as a mobile Wi-Fi device while travelling, share it with family and friends or keep it in the car for on the road internet access. Please note, however, that if you don’t add any data to the device within 200 days of activating it, your SIM Card will deactivate. If that happens, don’t worry, just head here to order a new SIM pack to be sent out: - http://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobilebroadband/prepaid
Why have I received the Optus Internet Assistance Kit?
You have mostly likely received this kit as you have a fault with your home internet that is affected by a delay. Alternatively, if you are affected by a Mass Service Disruption, you can get some more information on this here www.optus.com.au/msdhelp
How long does it take for the Optus Internet Assistance Kit to be delivered?
For Metro areas, the kit should be delivered within 1-2 working days. For Regional areas, please allow 2+ working days.
If you would like to check the status of your delivery, please enter the order number sent to you via SMS into our tracking site: https://optus.startrack.com.au/
How many devices can I connect to the modem at the same time?
You can connect up to 10 Wi-Fi compatible devices at one time. If you are connecting one device via USB, then 9 other devices can be connected via Wi-Fi. If you are using the device as a Wi-Fi extender, then only 9 Wi-Fi enabled devices can be connected.
How do I find out the Service Number for my Optus Internet Assistance Kit?
You can find out your service number by going to www.optus.com.au/prepaidbalance using the internet connection on your mobile broadband modem.
Optus Sport: Personal viewing in Australia only. Content and features vary by device and sport. Sport coverage is available as long as you remain on an eligible plan and Optus has the rights. Optus Sport is a month-to-month subscription, which will continue until you cancel your subscription or you move to an ineligible plan. Where your plan includes Optus Sport at no additional cost, your bill will show a $15 charge and corresponding credit.