Last week I was lucky enough to attend Samsung’s Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6 edge+ launch to take their new ‘supersized’ or ‘phablet’ phone range for a spin!
To get you up-to-speed with what the latest and greatest smartphones are going to give you, I’ve included a few specs below:
‘Both phones offer a brilliant 5.7” Quad HD Super AMOLED screen, great battery life, 16MP back camera and a 5MP front facing camera.’ Quote taken directly from our blog post on both handsets, which you can read here.
I won’t be going into too much detail about specifications as they’ve already covered in detail, instead I’ll be chatting about the form and function. In no particular order things that stuck out for me included:
- The curved back of Note 5 makes it feel comfortable to hold, it also feels and looks quite compact.
- Both phones, for their size, feel incredibly light.
- I loved the new and improved S Pen, who would have thought? I had previously thought they were superfluous, but it really glides across the screen nicely! I really got acquainted with it when I used it to make my own wallpaper, which you can see below. J
- The Quad HD Super AMOLED screen of the Note 5 makes it look fantastic when lit up!
- The S6 edge+ is so sleek and I love the look of it. I just wish it came with an S Pen, you know, because I’ve become such a fan…I miss it already.
- A large part of the demonstrations were focused on the in-built live broadcasting functionality, which I’m not totally convinced that it’s something that I need in my life right now - especially since I’m not sure anyone’s interested in watching a live stream of me eating cereal in my pyjamas (famous last words?). However, with the rise of live streaming apps such as Periscope and Meerkat I suspect more manufacturers and app developers will find ways for people to easily stream and share content in real time.
For all the details and pricing head over to our Pre Order pages
With these additions to the Samsung mobile family, the question you really need to ask yourself ‘is bigger really better’? In this case I would say ‘absolutely, yes!’ A few years ago I wouldn’t have considered getting a Note, however, with the ubiquitousness of data and our increasing desire to consume more and more digital content on the go, this renders the ‘will this fit in your pocket argument’ redundant. Viva la big screen phones!
Great news is we’re giving one away! For your chance to win either the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+ or Note 5 find out more here