cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Postpaid Music Streaming FAQs

Let the music play.

If you’re an Optus customer with an eligible plan, you can enjoy streaming music without using your plan’s data from the following selected music streaming partners: Google Play Music, iHeart Radio and Spotify. For more information, please take a look at our Music Streaming FAQs below.

Is the offer available to all Optus customers?

As long as you’re on or sign up to an eligible Optus mobile or mobile broadband plan you can enjoy data free music streaming. You can find out more about eligible plans here.  If you’re a new customer, you can add data free music streaming when you purchase your plan. If you’re an existing customer, you can add data free music streaming in My Account within the Entertainment section.

Which mobile and mobile broadband services are eligible?

Data free music streaming is available at no extra cost on selected plans for Optus customers. If you have an existing Optus mobile or mobile broadband service you can check your eligibility and turn on data free music streaming in My Account within the Entertainment section. Data free music streaming is also available for eligible prepaid customers, find out more at www.optus.com.au/prepaidmusic

Here's the list of Postpaid plans eligible for data free Music streaming:

• My Plan Plus $30+ plans
  • My Plan Business $30+ plans
  • My Plan Business Tech Fund $30+ plans
  • My Plan SIM only and My Plan Business SIM $30+ plans
  • My Mobile Broadband Plus (24 month only) $30+ plans
  • Mobile Broadband Business (24 month only) $30+ plans
  • My Mobile Broadband (SIM only) $30+ plans
  • Mobile Broadband Business (SIM only) $30+ plans

Are the subscriptions to the participating streaming services included?

No, paid subscription fees for premium versions of the streaming services are not included.  

How do I get data free music streaming?

New Optus postpaid customer – If you’re signing up to a new postpaid plan where music streaming is included, you’ll automatically be signed up to data free music streaming. You can choose to switch this off if you’d prefer.

Please note, there will be a delay, usually a few hours, before data free music streaming is ready to go. You’ll receive an SMS or email to let you know when you can start streaming music from the participating streaming apps data free.  Please wait for this confirmation from us before you start streaming as any streaming you do on those apps before then won’t be data free.

Existing Optus Customer – If you already have an eligible plan, you’ll need to activate data free music streaming before you can start streaming music from the participating streaming apps data free. Login to My Account, and click on the Entertainment section to activate data free music streaming.   

If your plan isn’t eligible, you’ll need to move onto a plan which is. Contact us for more info or you can find out more about eligible plans here.

Please note, there will be a delay, usually a few hours, before data free music streaming is ready to go. You’ll receive an SMS or email to let you know when you can start streaming music from the participating streaming apps data free.  Please wait for this confirmation from us before you start streaming as any streaming you do on those apps before then won’t be data free.

Optus prepaid customer: Data free music streaming is also available for eligible prepaid customers, find out more at www.optus.com.au/prepaidmusic.

I’m an existing Optus customer, how do I know if my plan is eligible for data free music streaming?

To find out if your current plan is eligible for data free music streaming, head to My Account and click on the Entertainment section or contact us. You can also find out more about eligible plans here.

How will I know if data free music streaming has been activated?

There will be a delay, usually a few hours, before data free music streaming is ready to go. You’ll receive an SMS or email to let you know when you can start streaming music from the participating streaming apps data free.  Please wait for this confirmation from us before you start streaming as any streaming you do on those apps before then won’t be data free.

What quality of streaming can I expect?

Your streaming service has been designed to not exceed 512 kbps. This speed is for a single stream on mobile and tablet devices, so you can enjoy your favourite music on the included music service apps when you’re out and about.

Do I get data free music streaming on all music apps?

No, the included apps are Google Play Music, iHeartRadio and Spotify.

Do I have to stream through one of the streaming services apps or can I stream through a web browser like Google Chrome?

You can only stream music without using your data on the Google Play Music, iHeartRadio and Spotify apps on your phone or tablet.  If you stream music via the websites of the music providers on your phone, this will use your included data. So don’t forget that data free music streaming is only available via the selected streaming service apps on a phone or tablet.

Can I stream music without using my data when I’m overseas?

No, data free music streaming is only for use in Australia. You’ll be charged roaming rates for data used with any music app when overseas.

Will data free music streaming work on all my devices if I Data Pool?

No, data free music streaming will only work on the service which has data free music streaming activated onto its plan.

Why have I used data from my plan when all I’ve done is streamed music on the participating music streaming apps?

There are some functions within the apps that are excluded from the offer and will use data from your plan. These include:

• Video streaming
  • Album artwork displayed on screen
  • Advertisements that the service providers may insert into the app, these can be video ads or banner ads
  • Any analytics sent from the music provider to understand your music preferences and usage
  • Authentication, for example, when the app confirms your login

Also, music will only be zero-rated when it is streamed through the participating apps for mobile phones and tablets. Use of third party apps which access the participating music apps, such as Sonos, are excluded.

I no longer want to have access to data free music streaming; can I remove this from my plan?

Yes, you can remove data free music streaming from your service. You can do this within the Entertainment section when you login to My Account or by contacting us.

If I choose to remove data free music streaming from my plan, when will that removal take effect?

This depends on your situation:

• I have stayed on the same mobile plan and only removed data free music streaming.

Removal of data free music streaming will take effect from the start of your next bill cycle. From your next bill cycle onwards, any music streaming you do through the participating music streaming apps will incur normal data charges.

• I have changed my mobile plan and also removed data free music streaming.

Removal of data free music streaming will take effect from the start of the bill cycle of your new plan. From your new plan’s first bill cycle onwards, any music streaming you do through the participating music streaming apps will incur normal data charges.

Can I tether or share my data free music streaming?

Data free music streaming is not suitable for tethering or hot-spotting to multiple devices. If you do tether and use your phone to stream music, it may use your included data. Your streaming service has been designed to not exceed 512 kbps. This speed is for a single stream on mobile and tablet devices, so you can enjoy your favourite music on the included music service apps when you’re out and about.

What if I am using a VPN?

Streaming music through the participating streaming apps while connected to a VPN (Virtual Private Network) will not be data free. This is because we won’t be able to detect your music streaming traffic.

Will you be adding more music streaming services in the future?

We’ll continue to review the participating streaming services and may add more in the future. The participating streaming services are subject to change at any time.

Will my streaming of the participating music streaming services be slowed after reaching a certain data limit?

No, data free music streaming through the participating streaming services will not be slowed if a certain data limit is reached.  Please see your plan information for more details on your data inclusions.

Got a question that hasn’t been answered in our FAQs? Click the comment button and ask us below.

The Details

All for use in Australia. Fair Go Policy applies. Stream music up to 512kbps. On selected plans and streaming apps only.
Streaming services subject to change at any time. Content such as ads, authentication & app analytics are excluded and will incur data charges. Streaming services may require paid subscription fees & may not have apps available on all mobile operating systems. Suitable for one stream per service on mobile & tablet devices only. Prepaid only: Available until 16/07/17. For daily plans streaming will trigger a day’s usage. You must have a positive MyCredit or data balance to access data free music streaming. Add Ons will not extend your recharge expiry or use of data free music streaming.

Labels (1)
76 Replies
New Contributor Tones14u
New Contributor

Re: Postpaid Music Streaming FAQs

When I open Google Play it still wants me to subscribe, how do I stream for free??

New Contributor Tr4nce89
New Contributor

@Tones14u, only the data portion is free, subscriptions aren't included, so you'll have to subscribe out of your pocket.

New Contributor apalo
New Contributor

Where it says not included in free data: album art displayed on screen, is that referring to the album cover that AUTOMATICALLY shows up when you play a song on Spotify?! Because as far as I'm concerned there's no way to turn that off, which means every time we stream music from Spotify "for free", it wouldn't be for free if we're getting charged for the display of each song's album...?

Please clarify, thanks.

Highlighted
New Contributor apalo
New Contributor

Any Optus reps able to reply to the above???

RetiredModerator Serena
RetiredModerator

Welcome to Yes Crowd apalo! 

You are correct, only the audio music is data free. Non-audio content from the Apps will use your plan’s data. This means that content such as; song downloads, album art, video, advertisements, authentication and app analytic's will come out of the plans data. The amount that's used for this is still very small and in some apps you're actually able to disable the images. 

The most important thing to remember is, you can only stream music without using your data on the Google Play Music, iHeartRadio, Pandora and Spotify apps on your phone or tablet.  If you stream music via the websites of the music providers on your phone, this will use your included data. So don’t forget that data free music streaming is only available via the selected streaming service apps on a phone or tablet J

Have you seen something helpful? Don't forget to give it a kudos. Asked a question and got an answer? Make sure you mark it as an accepted solution!

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

New Contributor Alex_G_Bell
New Contributor

You can use the free version of Google Play Music and upload your library to the Google cloud. Then you can stream your own music!

New Contributor Kdg
New Contributor

Does this free service include the saving/downloadng of music files on the Spotify app?

Or just streaming them?

Contributor Nvier
Contributor

Hey Kdg,

Saving/Downloading will use your data

Only streaming portion is free.

New Contributor Jmaust
New Contributor

Hopefully Apple Music will be included soon?