Searching...

Mobile TV Streaming FAQs

[ Edited ]
Optus

Get ready for all the entertainment you can handle.

If you’re an Optus customer with an eligible plan, you can enjoy streaming TV and movies from Netflix, Stan, ABC iview, ABC KIDS iview, ABC ME and other entertainment apps without using your plan’s data.

For more information, please take a look at our Mobile TV streaming FAQs below.

Is the offer available to all Optus customers?

As long as you’re on or sign up to an eligible Optus postpaid mobile or mobile broadband plan you can enjoy data free Mobile TV streaming. You can find out more about eligible plans here. If you’re a new customer, you can add data free Mobile TV streaming when you purchase your plan. If you’re an existing customer, you can add data free Mobile TV streaming in My Account within the Entertainment section.

Which mobile and mobile broadband plans are eligible?

Data free Mobile TV streaming is available on selected Postpaid Mobile Phone, BYO and Mobile Broadband plans for Optus customers. For new and recontracting customers,  data free Mobile TV streaming is available on all 24 month My Plan Plus, 24 Month My Plan Flex, 12 Month My Plan Plus SIM Only plan or 24 Month My Mobile Broadband $35+ plans. If you have an existing Optus postpaid mobile or mobile broadband service you can check your eligibility in My Account or through the My Optus App and if eligible, turn on data free Mobile TV streaming within the Entertainment section.

Is Mobile TV streaming available on prepaid plans?

No, data free Mobile TV streaming isn’t available on prepaid plans.

Are the subscriptions to Netflix and Stan included?

No, Netflix and Stan subscriptions aren’t included. You’ll need to subscribe to the Mobile TV streaming services.

How do I get data free Mobile TV streaming?

• New Optus postpaid customer – If you’re signing up to a new plan where Mobile TV streaming is included, you’ll automatically be signed up to data free Mobile TV streaming. You can choose to switch this off if you’d prefer.

Please note there will be a delay of a few hours before Mobile TV streaming is ready to go. We’ll send an SMS or email to let you know when you can start streaming your content data free. Please wait for this confirmation from us before you start streaming as any streaming you do on our Mobile TV streaming services before this won’t be data free.

• Existing Optus Customer – If you already have an eligible plan, you’ll need to activate data free Mobile TV streaming before you can start streaming movies and TV from our Mobile TV streaming services data free. Login to My Account, and click on the Entertainment section to activate data free Mobile TV streaming.   

If your plan isn’t eligible you’ll need to move onto a plan which is. Contact us for more info and find out more about eligible plans here.

Please note there will be a delay of around 4 hours before Mobile TV streaming is ready to go. We’ll send an SMS or email to let you know when you can start streaming from our Mobile TV streaming services data free. Please wait for this confirmation from us before you start streaming as any streaming you do from the Mobile TV streaming services before this won’t be data free.

I’m an existing Optus customer, how do I know if my plan is eligible for data free Mobile TV streaming?

To find out if your current plan is eligible for data free Mobile TV streaming, head to My Account and click on the Entertainment section or contact us. You can also find out more about eligible plans here.

How will I know if data free Mobile TV streaming has been activated?

Please note there will be a delay of a few hours before Mobile TV streaming is ready to go. We’ll send an SMS or email to let you know when you can start streaming from the Mobile TV streaming services data free. Please wait for this confirmation from us before you start streaming as any streaming you do before this won’t be data free.

What does the video quality look like on my device?

Video will be streamed in standard definition up to 1.5Mbps. This speed is for a single stream on mobile and tablet devices, so you enjoy your favourite movies and TV shows when you’re out and about. You might get some pixilation for the first 30 seconds or so of your stream as your app calibrates to the network. To get the best experience, we recommend you use the Mobile TV streaming services mobile and tablet apps and set the quality to “Auto”.  

How does this work when I’m on WiFi?

If you stream through WiFi we won’t optimise your video. The quality will vary depending on the app settings and your WiFi internet service provider. This may use data from your home internet plan.

Which apps are data free Mobile TV streaming available on?

Data free Mobile TV streaming is available through the Mobile TV streaming services' apps. It’s important to note that some streaming services may not have apps available on all device operating systems.

Can I stream Mobile TV content data free through a web browser like Google Chrome?

For the best viewing experience we recommend you use the Mobile TV streaming services mobile and tablet apps and set the video quality to “Auto”. If you use a web browser to stream TV shows and movies from the Mobile TV streaming services, this will still be data free.

Can I stream Mobile TV data free when I’m overseas?

No, data free Mobile TV streaming is only for use in Australia. You’ll be charged roaming rates for data used if you stream from our Mobile TVstreaming services while you’re overseas.

Can I stream Mobile TV data free on any device?

You’ll experience Mobile TV streaming the best on an Optus-supplied 4G compatible device. If you wish to stream Mobile TV data free on a non-Optus supplied device or an Optus-supplied device that is not 4G compatible, you may not have the best viewing experience. Check your device to see if it is Optus 4G compatible. You can find out more about Optus 4G mobile network device compatibility here.

Will data free Mobile TV streaming work on all my devices if I Data Pool?

No, data free Mobile TV streaming will only work on the service for which it has been activated.

Why have I used data from my plan when all I’ve done is stream content on the Mobile TV streaming services?

There are some functions and content within the apps that are excluded from the offer and will use data from your plan. These include:

• Video downloads
  • Advertisements that the streaming service provider may insert into the app, these can be video ads or banner ads
  • Any analytics sent from the streaming services to understand your video preferences and usage
  • Authentication, for example, when the service confirms your login

Also, streaming on TVs (such as Chromecast and Apple TV) is excluded and will use data on your plan.  

What if I want to watch content in high definition?

If you want to stream TV shows and movies from the Mobile TV streaming services in High Definition you can remove data free Mobile TV streaming in My Account by clicking the Entertainment section. It’s important to note that by removing this, any TV shows and movies you stream from the Mobile TV streaming services will no longer be data free and will use data from your plan.

I no longer want to have access to data free Mobile TV streaming, can I remove this from my plan?

Yes, you can remove data free Mobile TV streaming from your service. You can do this using My Account or by contacting us.

When will the removal of data free Mobile TV streaming take effect?

This depends on your situation:

• I have stayed on the same mobile plan and only removed data free Mobile TV streaming.

Removal of data free Mobile TV streaming will take effect from the start of your next bill cycle. From the start of your next bill cycle onwards, any streaming you do through the Mobile TV streaming services will incur normal data charges.

• I have changed my mobile plan and also removed data free Mobile TV streaming.

Removal of data free Mobile TV streaming will take effect from the start of the bill cycle of your new plan. From the start of your new plan’s first bill cycle onwards, any streaming you do through the Mobile TV streaming services will incur normal data charges.

Can I tether or share my data free Mobile TV streaming?

Data free Mobile TV streaming is not suitable for tethering, hot-spotting to multiple devices or streaming to a bigger screen using services such as Chromecast or Apple AirPlay. If you do tether or stream to a bigger screen, it will use your included data.

What if I am using a VPN?

Streaming while connected to a VPN (Virtual Private Network) won’t be data free. This is because we won’t be able to detect your streaming traffic.

Will you be adding more streaming services in the future

We’ll continue to review the participating streaming services and may add more in the future. The participating streaming services are subject to change at any time.

Will my streaming be slowed after reaching a certain data limit?

No, data free Mobile TV streaming will not be slowed if a certain data limit is reached.  Please see your plan information for more details on your data inclusions.

Will my streaming of other video content be affected if I have data free Mobile TV streaming?

No, other than the Mobile TV streaming services, the viewing of other content such as YouTube will not be affected if you have data free Mobile TV streaming. Video from the Mobile TV streaming services will be streamed in standard definition up to 1.5Mbps.

With the new Netflix Download and Go feature, if I want to download a Netflix TV show or movie and I am an Optus Mobile TV streaming customer, will this be data free?

Yes, if you are an Optus Mobile TV streaming customer and you have a subscription to Netflix, you can download Netflix video content data free. The download speed will be limited to 1.5Mbps so we suggest you use Wi-Fi to download or watch it on the go without using your data.

Got a question that hasn’t been answered in our FAQs? Click the comment button and ask us below.

The Details

All for use in Australia. Fair Go Policy applies . Stream SD video up to 1.5Mbps & music up to 512kbps. Streaming services subject to change at any time. Content such as ads, authentication & app analytics are excluded and will incur data charges. Streaming services may require paid subscription fees & may not have apps available on all mobile operating systems. Not suitable for HD quality video. Suitable for one stream per service on mobile & tablet devices only.

Re: Mobile TV Streaming FAQs

Treadders

I've got my mobile broadband actiated for free streaming.  If my Samsung Smart TV is linked to my modem, will streaming be free on the TV, or do I need to use my laptop?

Sam_D

Hey @Treadders, only the device which has been provisioned for Mobile TV will receive data free streaming - tethering isn't supported and will utilise your included data. 

rodgerst

Can I tether my phone to my laptop as a modem to watch Netflix free?

Toomey

Data free Mobile TV streaming is not suitable for tethering, hot-spotting to multiple devices or streaming to a bigger screen using services such as Chromecast or Apple AirPlay. If you do tether or stream to a bigger screen, it will use your included data.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Sailable_crayon

I have a mobile broadband stick if u use the streaming on that plugged in to my windows 10 laptop that has the netflix app set on low streaming will that use my data? 

Toomey

Mobile TV Streaming is only available to Tablets on My Mobile Broadband Plus (24 month) plans and streaming will only be data free when watching via the tablet. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Goffee

Can I connect my apple tablet to AV tablet adapter to hdmi and stream on to tv data free

Tarbardiosa

Does the data free streaming include the Gear VR official Netflix app? Customer support says they're not sure, Netflix themselves say it should be the same data so it doesn't matter and no forum seems to know the answer so I thought I'd try my luck here....

[ Edited ]
Meg

Hey Goffee the streaming is set up for direct access from the App on a mobile or tablet any tethering to other devices is not supported by us. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
1 Kudo
1 Kudo
1 Kudo