Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

is this a scam

YL422

i have receive a text message today from +61 421 859 268

*IMPORTANT MESSAGE* There was an issue with your recent payment. To avoid having your service suspended, please update your payment details here: https://yes-opt.us/myacc?id=61411797392&a=1&amount=1303 - or log into your Optus My Account. Yours sincerely, Optus Billing Team.

i log on optus real website didnt found anything

Solution

Re: is this a scam

petergdownload

If its not Optus should be ashamed of themselves for sending out payment communications with links like that.

But yes I suspect it is a scam - seems decently authentic, but pay now or be cut off is highly sus.

As you have, you should always navigate to the site seperately and confirm any issues (even if it is legit).

Optus Live Chat or Optus Facebook can probably give you a quick answer. 

Peter Gillespie

NB Most legit payment problems are usually with direct debit accounts not having funds or credit cards expiring. 

Davelew

Hi

I would say definately a scam. If to look at the link Optus is 'opt.us'.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Yeldarb

I did say using those silly domain names that Dave just highlighted would cause problems. Just some bloke with a NameCheap hosting account collecting Optus usernames and passwords.

Davelew

You are so right Bradley and I don't know how many times I tell people before you click on a link read it carefully for looking for these sort of oddities in the addresses.

Also, how important not to put personal information on public forums etc. One post with your email address shown can lead to this sort of scam.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Yeldarb

Spot on Dave. Maybe I have been in the industry too long and I know how much damage can be done with just the slightest amount of information. These abbreviated Optus domains are just inviting fraud. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
13 Kudos
6 Kudos
6 Kudos
6 Kudos
4 Kudos