Searching...

Re: Winneroo Scam

domwild

One-click subscription to "Premium Services" via spam SMS messages are prohibited under the telco industry recommendations:

1. Ring the telco and ask for the money to be refunded. Ignore suggestion to get money back from scammer, that never works.
  2. If unsuccessful during the call, mention a complaint to TIO (Ombudsman).
  3. Check telco invoice(s). If still unsuccessful, place on-line complaint to TIO, that helps to get the lost money back. Record reference number. Use it later to escalate complaint.

Forget contacting ACCC, ACMA, ACORN, Scamwatch, Scamnet, etc. as all they do is keeping scam statistics, they will not investigate and all they send you is an automated response. The TIO will get your money back.

domwild

It appears Telstra will stop this SPAM SMS SCAM this month after many years of complaints and millions of Dollars lost to clients and Optus has also notified clients of its intention to stop "One-click subscriptions to Premium Services" in January 2018.

As Telstra has leaked info like this to the press in 2016 already, but the scams continued, I am still hesitant to believe the telcos and will read the comments on the Telstra forum, this "Yescrowd" forum and especially the Whirlpool comms forum with its 53 pages of complaints of rip-offs perpetrated by all telcos.

Perhaps Maurice Blackburn will start a class action to recover those millions of Dollars for clients, but most of it for the law firm itself!

Frullens

My wife has been slugged $240 from this scam which is billed directly from optus. Optus have refunded $100 but not the entire amount. They said they would look into it adding cal bank bit never did. We are trying to call back now but stuck on the phone waiting for almost an hour. Optus this is unfair and YOU are responsible for resolving it. Please contact us asap.

domwild

Please do not wait but make an on-line complaint to the TIO (Telecom. Industry Ombudsman). The TIO will get your money back. This is ridiculous to rip people off to the tune of $240!

Dan_C

Hey guys, thanks for reaching out. I've copied a response I'd posted from a similar thread. Hopefully it's of some use to you all. 

We do understand the concern and changes are being made in response to customer feedback. I'd suggest checking out the following threads. 

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Changes-to-Third-Party-Content-Charges-for-Optus-Postpaid-and/...

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Changes-to-Third-Party-Content-Charges-for-Home-Wireless/ba-p/...

For the moment, we'd suggest jumping onto live chat → www.optus.com.au/livechat/pmobiYou'd need to ask the consultant to action the following for you.

• Ask that they set your Premium SMS spend limit to $0.00. This prevents any third party provider from charging your Optus account.
  • Ask that they raise a dispute with MIA Sphere Live. We're looking at a contact time-frame of 2-3 working days. Once the refund has been approved, it'll be credited back into your Optus account by the time your next invoice is due to come through.
  • We suggest paying the difference between the content charge and your monthly access fee. You will not be penalised whilst a dispute is in progress. 

If you need us to follow up on your refund, message us back here and we'll gladly help out

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

domwild

Hi Moderator,

It is ridiculous to ask a client to spend more time listening to music while waiting for Optus to respond. Why has Optus not refunded the full $240 and only returned $100?

Any disputed charges do not have to be paid, so I suggest to the client to only pay the undisputed portion of the bill.

Rather than waiting for Optus to refund the additional $140 missing, why not place an on-line complaint with the TIO to get this settled rather than messing around with more calls to Optus?

After ten years of various telcos ripping off clients with those "One click subscriptions to Premium Services" scams, Telstra has stopped this nuisance now since December and Optus will stop it this month, but since then millions of Dollars have been ripped off unfortunately.

Dan_C

As a moderator we're here to provide direction. I'm not asking customers to call up our contact centre. Our Live chat team are more than capable of handling this sort of request. It's a quick two - three minute chat. 

In regards to the second paragraph of your post, are you reiterating what I've said or offering advice to other customers? 

I've mentioned, "We suggest paying the difference between the content charge and your monthly access fee. You will not be penalised whilst a dispute is in progress."

Customers are welcome to seek out independent advice from the TIO but the sure fast we to get the issue resolved is to raise your concern with a consultant. If you do seek out advice from the TIO, you're looking at a 10 business day + resolution time frame. 

If you'd like us to assess your individual case, I'm happy to do that for you. Send me a PM with your account details and I'll get back to you as soon as I can → http://yesopt.us/pmdan

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Re: Winneroo Scam still being charged

Bekstar77

Hi there.

Im having the same issue with this winneroo group

How many times do i have to send a message to STOP SUBSCRIPTION which was not authorised to begin with.  On the . 20/12, 21/12, 12/1 and 21,2 i requested STOP on this particular ph and have requested on my other phone  which has same number only to be charged again  and again. This has been going on for months.. I do not use their service, never have. Recently  requested a refund of $10 × 4 = $40. If this is not done within 5 business days  i will be taking legal action against Winneroos and any operators authorizing illegal transactions from my account and will  request  the full amount over the last 10 months (evidence has been kept will be provided to lawyers on Monday). Have made appointment with my lawyers next monday to arrange paperwork. This is not acceptable and will not be tolerated.  

domwild

Hi Bekstar77,

You may be able to save yourself an awful lot of money by simply sending an on-line complaint to the TIO (Ombudsman) to get your money back. That way you will also get that warm feeling, that Optus gets charged $30 by the TIO.

Lawyers tend to drag proceedings out as long as possible. Contact Slater & Gordon and Maurice Blackburn for a class action on a no win/no fee basis as those rip-offs have been going on for ten years and a lot of clients never got their money back as they could not be bothered to talk to Manila on 132200 (Telstra) or listen to music for hours.

Bekstar77

Appreciate  you getting back to me. Can you please  cancel any further  payments to this Winneroo  mob

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
12 Kudos
7 Kudos
6 Kudos
6 Kudos
3 Kudos