cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Why is my 02 phone # in the "G'ong" charged as "National" call to Sydney # with the same 02 prefix?

Hi guys 'n' gals,

After checking my latest bill, I saw that I was charged for 2 calls to a Sydney #.

Now...I was under the impression that any calls made to another # with the same 02 prefix

was to be classed as a "local" call.....Not a "National" one.

Good grief, Charlie Brown!

It's not that I'm calling Queensland or Victoria or "The good ol' US of A" etc., etc.

I would expect such calls to be charged more but not from an 02 # to another 02 # in the same darn state.

&....Optus does not have any kind of description on any of their pages showing the area covered by the 02 #'s.

Be they classed as Local or National.

They just let you go blindly on your way & charge you whatever they feel like.

What is the cut-off point eg; the area covered by/for "Local" calls?

Thanks for reading & awaiting a response or 2.

ps. Perhaps if Optus placed a Banner across the top of the relevant page/s, explaing this

"cut off area", it would save "us lowly, long term customers" a heap of agro & such long wait times on hold to get an answer that the OS operators do not know the answer to, anyway.

Another wasted phone call. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Why is my 02 phone # in the "G'ong" charged as "National" call to Sydney # w

A number with a 02 just means it's a number allocated to the state of NSW not that it's a local number, when a company Optus or otherwise talk about local numbers they are talking about numbers that are held on the same exchange (so within  the same local area) once your call leaves the exchange you are billed a national rate (telstra called them S.T.D calls) 

I'm old and remember this from when you had to pay for every call, now I have a home phone plan where everything is included (but I don't use my home phone, go figure) 

There's detailed info here.

http://www.optus.com.au/about/legal/standard-forms-agreement/personal/home

- I'm a bored geek, I really should be working, but I'm here instead.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Why is my 02 phone # in the "G'ong" charged as "National" call to Sydney # w

as to how to identify a local number I pinched this from wikipedia  

you are from Wollongong so your number starts with (02) 4 XXXXXXX

if you call a number in Sydney it would begin with (02) 9XXXXXX the first few numbers of the number indicate if it's in the same local area so if you call a number with a (02) 4 at beginning you are fine, otherwise it's a national call  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_Australia#Central_East_region_.2802.29

- I'm a bored geek, I really should be working, but I'm here instead.
Highlighted

Re: Why is my 02 phone # in the "G'ong" charged as "National" call to Sydney # with the same 02 p...

Sorry to hear that Mike2345 😞 

Yourgirlfriday is correct that Local calls aren't state based they are within the same local area.

If you have any further questions about this we'd love to help you out.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks to "yourgirlfriday."

You explained the situation perfectly.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there Marie,

I just wonder, if it's at all possible, for Optus to place a Banner across the top of the relavant pages,

telling people about the areas covered etc., & the areas NOT covered via...

"Local calls" & when they turn into "National calls."

This would save us a lot of headaches when the bill arrives & "they've" been charged extra for "those National calls."

You get what I mean.

We should NOT have to go searching for that info.

Thank you.

Regs, M..

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Happy to pass your feedback on Mike2345 🙂 

Shout out if we can give you a hand with anything else in the future.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors