Searching...

Why am I being charged for Silverlight Streaming ??

AROSAS

I had recently upgraded my plan to include the free streaming for Netflix, Stan etc.

During the month I have been monitoring my data usage because I had continiously received txt msgs advising I had been topped up with extra GB's.Throughout the month my usage had been used up by Silverlight which was more than 60% of my data usage.

I have tried to speaking to people a number of times through the online chat & they have all advised me that I will not be billed since it is included in my plan & that I will have to wait until I receive my bill to have a 'better' look at what my usage is. Now that I've received my bill, I have been charged an extra $200!!!

I've tried to speak with the online chat people again and they were not helpful at all. They just continously repeated that I will be charged for Silverlight streaming because it was not part of my plan.. And they did not answer my question as to WHY I was getting charged when all I had used were the Stan & Netflix app directly from my phone!!

Can someone please tell me what the hell Silverlight is? All I've been doing is streaming from the apps that are 'supposedly' included in my plan and now I can't use simply because I'm afraid I'll be overcharged again!! I am also refusing to pay my bill until someone concludes this issue..

Re: Why am I being charged for Silverlight Streaming ??

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

What model phone do you have? Windows?

Have you looked in the phone data usage and see what it says is consuming your data currently?

Are you using apps to view Netflix or using a browser to get to the Netflix site and watch via that? 

Are you watching Netflix in SD?

Are you streaming the shows to another device (like a TV?)

Have you registered for free data in MyAccount?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS Sivelight is Microsoft's engine for displaying graphics in web browsers etc. (a bit like Flash).

Shauna

Hey @AROSAS - @petergdownload asks some good questions here, are you able to answer these for us? Alternatively, send your details through via private message so we can take a look.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

10000000000GB

You can verify whether Netflix is being metered, because it turns up under "Other Usage"

There are permutations of software that can end up making the data metered, and it is generally up to you to work out whether you are being successful. There are accounts where Netflix is metered, due to a fault in the account.

Unfortunately Optus chat rarely tells you the truth. You must always get a transcript or order number.

unmeterd.jpg

AROSAS

Hi Peter,

Thanks for responding! Here's the answers to your Q's -

- I have a Huawei Mate 9 (Running on Android)

- When looking at the data breakdown via the app at the time, Stan had come up & 60% was Silverlight. I have limited streaming for now until this is resolved.

- I have only been using the Netflix & Stan apps through my phone and not on anything else. I've checked the settings and it is set on SD.

- My account has been upgraded to include the free streaming, since we were also having issues with our internet connection at the time (still ongoing, another Optus Issue)

AROSAS

Hi Shauna,

Here's my response to Peter's post -

Hi Peter,

Thanks for responding! Here's the answers to your Q's -

- I have a Huawei Mate 9 (Running on Android)

- When looking at the data breakdown via the app at the time, Stan had come up & 60% was Silverlight. I have limited streaming for now until this is resolved.

- I have only been using the Netflix & Stan apps through my phone and not on anything else. I've checked the settings and it is set on SD.

- My account has been upgraded to include the free streaming, since we were also having issues with our internet connection at the time (still ongoing, another Optus Issue)

AROSAS

This is a great breakdown! Thanks for showing me this - I've always just been monitoring via the app on my phone but will now make the extra effort to track my usage on the computer for this proper breakdown. However, it only shows the breakdown of this current billing cycle and not the previous months bill.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
10000000000GB

To check if unmetered works, you just watch Netflix/Stan/iView for a few minutes, write down the time you watched it, and then wait the usual 17 hours, for the usage details to turn up. Look for the data with $0.00 next to it.

For a first test, use your PC via wifi to your phone or modem to watch iView. Use Chrome browser. Silverlight plugin could be doing something wonky with Optus DNS. The theory is that you need to download from the Optus cache, for the data to be free. Chromecast has a problem of using Google DNS and wrecking it up.

It's not clear whether you are using Netflix or Stan. I have only used Netflix and iView. It could be more of a Stan issue.

Next, test your smart TV. My LG worked with Netflix fine, but not iView.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
12 Kudos
7 Kudos
6 Kudos
5 Kudos
3 Kudos