Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Unauthorised Charges from MiaSphere

Hi Nylle,

There is a process here that should probably be followed to minimise stress and a successful outcome. As I said, trying to make complaints and explanation and demads across various parts of a huge business can be a recipe for difficulty. For example you've been told you've got a 14 day grace period and someone will call you on June 8? Its as likely as not that one or both of these things won't happen. Other areas in the business will proceed to cut you off and your credit rating will be downgraded, etc.

I'm sure it would all get sorted in the end but it may get worse before it gets better. FWIW Optus do seem to have particular issues with the consitency of its customer service and how its backend sytems all work together - sometimes great, sometimes a nightmare.

The issues with your premium charges are usually reversed down the track after you request Optus to dispute the charges. Once you've set your Premium Limit to $0 then unless related to previous scam charges you shouldn't get any more. 

You feel Optus should have reduced your Premium charges across all your equipment but again the system isn't really set up to work like that. Each SIM card has its own settings and customers may want different settings on different accounts. You can try argue otherwise but IMO the most straight forward approach is to just dispute all the charges with Optus, pay the bill and get a refund next month. If it doesn't happen then all of the options to argue your case are still around and you can spend the hours presenting your case then (IMO)

As for security concerns, if you have the option you should make sure your account has two factor authentication set up. particularly your EMAIL, cloud storage and banking. This means if anyone tries to log in on a new PC a SMS will be sent to you for a code to verify. You only have to do it yourself once per new machine but it greatly increases your virtual security.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter!

I've set up reminders already just in case Optus do not get back to me in a week's time.

Optus should really up their customer service game.  I refuse to think that Optus is poor in this department because they are huge and is particularly difficult to navigate.  There used to be a time when Telstra was horrible at their customer service but they turned that around already in recent years IMHO.

The systems and processes should be put in place to make everybody's lives easier and not to add to the stress of the customer and the stress of being a customer facing employee of Optus.  Again... all of these things can be avoided if Optus sets the premium control spend to zero to begin with.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

" all of these things can be avoided if Optus sets the premium control spend to zero to begin with."

Yeah. That's my thinking too.

Personally I've never had any issues with Optus, contacting them or anything else. I assume for most people it is pretty smooth process. But the measure of a company (IMO) is how it handles things when they go wrong. Optus appears to be shooting itself in the foot in this at the moment. Possibly questionable business decisions that make for short term revenue boosts but longer term just increasingly disenfranchised customers.

1. Premium SMS set to $200 a month by default

2. Optus HFC network essentially run into the ground (now being scrapped)

3. Return of bill Shock - $1500 of possible charges on every mobile account now.

4. English Premier rights League bought but largely squandered on poor availability and PQ

5. Underlying net interface a mishmash of interconnecting obsolete programs

6. Congestion issues in many areas as not enough bandwidth is made available 

7. Poor interaction with NBNCo (blame game)

8. Preemtively dumping existing customers as soon as the NBN is available in their area (Pressure sales tactics)

9. Customer service who are helpfull but trained to very different degrees of ability.

Like Telstra and the banks who also went down the path of canablising its internals and customers good will, they eventually realised it had to stop. Optus is the second largest Telco in Oz (and historically people joined due to it having similar service to No 1 but not the eye watering $$$ premium). But with the NBN to be finished in a couple of years, people (currently half the country) will have the ability to sign up to any ISP. Optus needs to lift its game - it can do much better.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted

Sorry to hear that this has still been ongoing @nylle 😞 I have had a look at your account and can see that this was resolved today and the charges will be credit back on the next bill. Happy to discuss this further if you'd like to PM me. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I saw my bill and happy to report that Optus has credited my unpaid disputed charges.  It was a long process but glad to see it resolved!  

Thanks to the Optus team and @petergdownload for all your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

That's great news @nylle 🙂 Glad to hear it's been resolved now.

Do let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with in the future.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors