Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor car9569
New Contributor

The first bill is a mere deposit?

Hi,

I just signed up for Optus Sim Only Plan for mobile on 17 Feb and I was "first-bill"ed two days after which was on 19 Feb.

I was a bit confused why I was charged in advance even if it is postpaid. Then I got my second bill today which had invoice period from 17 Feb to 16 Mar. At this point I was extremely confused, so I asked online chat people and I have been told the "first-bill" is just mere deposit and I will get it refunded once I finish my contract. I requested any document or explanation written in the website or anywhere I can read, but the chat team only reassured I would get the money back once I finish my contract. I forgot to screencapture the chat and I really regret now. I read about the"first-bill" explained in the website and they are just telling me it is to avoid hassle for pro-rata and no metion of deposit or refund. My cycle started right on when I just signed up for it and I don't even have pro-rata amount involved. 

Have anyone got refunded for the "first-bill"? Can anybody confirm that the first bill is really a deposit and I would get my first bill back?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Moderator Casey_

Re: The first bill is a mere deposit?

Hey @car9569, all billed services will be billed one month in advance. If you ever cancel your service or change plans, any charges you have paid in advance will be refunded to you. By sending your first month's bill at the start of your bill cycle, rather than at the end, we avoid having to charge you complex pro-rata amounts, additional months in advance and catch up on your usage all on 1 bill. It also means you get the full monthly benefit for your new plan, not just a proportion of it. A detailed explanation can be found here

New Contributor car9569
New Contributor

If I am billed for one month in advance, why am I billed yesterday for Feb? Shouldn't my 2nd bill's invoice period Mar-Apr? 

RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Certainly sounds confusing. I'd need to see your bills to fully explain what's going on. Shoot me a private message with your account number, full name and DOB so we can discuss.

Edit* For more info check out our guide to understanding your first bill. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor bikinikitty
New Contributor

I am very confused about this as well. Same thing has happend to me, which I assume happens to everyone as I am reading all online about this. My issue with it is that NOTHING is said when you sign up, there is NOTHING in the terms and conditions you sign about "1 month deposit" that the sales reps call this. I just recived a bill 3 days after acitvating my 1st 12 month POST PAID sim only plan contract . I was told I need to PRE pay this ASAP and I will recived another bill in a couple of weeks with my first payment???

So post-paid accounts are paid a month in advance?  Is this an oxymoron or what?

There is not need for this "deposit". The thing is, when will they give you this "deposit" back? at the end of your contract, will it happen automaticly or do you need to remind OPTUS to pay you back? I think not. It seems this is a way to get an extra months payment out of people as they are bound to forget about it after their contract is over , or when they switch plans it will just get absorbed into the "change fees" and we would know none the wiser.

Not cool

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

Hey @bikinikitty - not the case at all. So, we will a month in advance for all of our services as do a large number of telco & energy providers. What you would have recently been billed for, would be for your base plan in October, the next bill you receive will be for your base plan in November. If you were to leave half way through the month or just before the start of a new bill cycle, anything you have paid in advance will be credited back to your account automatically. It's not something you need to remind us to do, it's built into our billing platform. 

Long story short, you pay for your base plan prior to using it. I hope this helps. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor ID27
New Contributor

It’s actualy a joke. I specifically asked numerous times when signing up if there were any addditional or advance payments to which I got the continual reply of no..and what shows up a couple days later? The advance payment. I called up Optus and they said that it is in no contact agreement and the customers are told ‘verbally’ with nothing in writing. I also proceeded to say that I was told ‘verbally’ that there were no hidden costs or advance payments to which they reply - ‘as it was a verbal statement to you, we have no proof’. How hypocritical. 

New Contributor MatAuthor
New Contributor

I paid this as well. It's been over a year now, did you get the money back?

New Contributor G7
New Contributor

Vodafone and Virgin have no deposit. I can tell.

Virgin can upgrade with no fee anytime when you found the better plan. Optus will charge you everything.

Virgin is the best!!

New Contributor chenz
New Contributor

I was so happy to discover that Virgin Mobile was not as terrible as every other telecom provider I've experienced. And now I can't express in words how disappointed I am that I've had to become an Optus customer again. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors