Searching...

Telstra warned to clean up its act

petergdownload

It took for the stick to be increased from 10M max to 100M+ for some Telcos to decide that rorting their customers just wasn't going to be profitable anymore. A few weasly press releases (but they received a “number of complaints” and acknowledged they could have improved their services faster.)  10,000+ complaints? 4-10 years of inaction? $60-$100 million in commisions pocketed.

The ACCC has finally been given some teeth and it appears to be looking at some of the long standing ways companies have been putting profits before customers. The Banks are going through their own Royal Commission and its long overdue for the Utilities and Telco sectors to start cleaning up. The ACCC can now make fines of up to 10% of a companies anual turnover (which in Optus' case would be getting close to a $1 billion dollar fine.) 

Putting customers first shouldn't need such a big stick to enforce. Sadly it seems it does.

Peter Gillespie

Re: Telstra warned to clean up its act

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

I have no problems with them making money but when it's done in such a shifty way they should be ashamed. Good to see the premium service issue finally caught up with them however excess data charges with delayed usage reporting particularly when roaming is still an issue that needs to be fixed.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

When prepaid accounts can provide usage figures to the minute and kB there really is no excuse for post paid to take hours and even days. Especially when phones are now capable of inadvertantly downloading 100s of Gb in minutes.

I agree totally Bradley. Stuff ups happen, mistakes occur and there's always bad luck. But when the system has ben constructed to statistically ensure that a significant percentage of your customers will face unwanted and unavoidable fees and charges that's not being a 'good' corporate citizen IMO.

Telstra's "Peace of Mind" service is one area they are out performing Optus (although the fact you have to pay for it make's it seem  something like a protection racket still)

Peter Gillespie

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

The POM plans are not new as they were once called Liberty plans however it was never available to mobile plans. The capped speed is very usable at 1.5 Mbps as opposed to the old unusable 256 Kbps speed that came with the Liberty plans when capped.

I must say that even though Optus offers more bytes for your buck I find it impossible to use all the data without running the risk of exceeding it. The delay as you pointed out is ridiculous given the speeds that are possible with the mobile network. Telstra once had this problem however they probably woke up to the fact that fleecing their customers might come back and bite them.

Notice the date on the post below. 

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Mobile-Plans-Rates/4G-LTE-loving-the-speeds-pity-you-can-t-us...

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
19 Kudos
7 Kudos
6 Kudos
6 Kudos
4 Kudos