Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor Bertrand
New Contributor

Snack Games subscription scam

Hi there

I have received following msg "FreeMsg: Enjoy 300 games at au.snack-games.com Snack Games subscription costs $6.95/wk charged to ur mob acct. Optout send stop to 19789155. Help: 1300957479". checking my bill they actually charging me. I have never signed up for anything. How can I dispute this charges and block this kind of charges in the future?

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Snack Games subscription scam

Hey @Bertrand, I've copied a response from a similar thread that I've posted on in the past. It includes all the information you need for this one 🙂 

We do understand the concern and changes are being made in response to customer feedback. I'd suggest checking out the following threads. 

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Changes-to-Third-Party-Content-Charges-for-Optus-Postpaid-and/...

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Changes-to-Third-Party-Content-Charges-for-Home-Wireless/ba-p/...

For the moment, we'd suggest jumping onto live chat → www.optus.com.au/livechat/pmobiYou'd need to ask the consultant to action the following for you.

• Ask that they set your Premium SMS spend limit to $0.00. This prevents any third party provider from charging your Optus account.
  • Ask that they raise a dispute with MIA Sphere Live. We're looking at a contact time-frame of 2-3 working days. Once the refund has been approved, it'll be credited back into your Optus account by the time your next invoice is due to come through.

If you need us to follow up on your refund, message us back here and we'll gladly help out

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor KG600
New Contributor

Re: Snack Games subscription scam

Hi I have also been charged with multiple $5.00 charges from something called Buku Games to the value of $70.25 which has resulted in my usual bill of $29.99 being increased to $100.25. I did not find out until I opened my bill. I did not sign up for, click on any links, in fact I didn't even know about third party charges. I do not play games on my phone and have received nothing for these fees. I contacted Optus 3 weeks before the charges were due to be paid (my bill)and had a long web chat conversation where I insisted that the charges be removed from my account. I was told that the bill would have to be paid but Optus would then get a refund and credit my mobile account. I am on a tight budget and could not afford to lose $70 from my bank account for something I did not ask for and quite frankly think is a scam. The customer service staff member agreed that it was a scam but insisted Optus could not stop taking my money but would stop future access from Buku Games and organise a refund. After a long conversation the staff member suggested he temporarily suspend my direct debit for the payment and that I should make a manual payment of my usual payment. My account would be in arrears by the $70 but it would come out in the wash after the refund was applied the following month. Sounded like a good solution. I repeated the proposal to the staff member, he agreed that I had it right and I gave permission for him to suspend the payment.I took a copy of our web chat and thought that was it. However, 3 weeks later the fraudulent charges were still debited from bank account (not suspended at all) and now I am short $70. After another long web chat conversation, which has quite frankly left me totally disillusioned with Optus and their apparent willingness to assist fraudulent activity on their customers accounts, I was informed that I'm lucky I won't have to pay my next 2 bills as I will be in credit after the refund is applied. I am not interested in being in credit on my mobile phone, I wanted the charges stopped before they hit my bank. What do I do.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Top Contributors